• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankrupcy Laywer Disappeared!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Victor_J

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA~ I hired a lawyer to file chapter 7 for me back in May and paid him in full to take me through the process. He was very responsive in the beginning (before he got paid) but once he cashed the check, it was like he totally disappeared. I'm not familiar with the process and didn't want to be a pest, but he would only explain to me what was going on when he had to.

Besides the fact that it took him until August to finally get my paperwork squared away, that only happened when I got a notice from the court that he failed to file certain paperwork and I was in jeopardy of getting my case dismissed. Needless to say I called him freaking out and the process finally began to start moving along... We met with the trustee on 9/4 and my petition was accepted, even though he forgot to bring much of the paperwork with him. I figured, ok, he's unorganized, but at least it is almost over...

I am keeping my house and from what I understand, he needed to file certain paperwork with the court to make that happen. I called him to follow up the following week and now, he is not answering the phone or responding to emails at all. I contacted my bank last month to get the paperwork needed sent to me, and once I received it, I signed everything and forwarded it to him. Certified with a return signature required; which I did receive with his signature, so at least I know he is alive. I can only pray he filed the papers....

Today I get another notice from the court stating that he has not filed my certificate for my post education course that is required after bankruptcy. Again, with the note that if it is not submitted, the case will be dismissed without discharging it.

I called him again and no response... Needless to say, now I am in an absolute panic! I don't know what this guy is doing, has done, hasn't done and I'm terrified that it is only a matter of time before this whole thing comes crashing down around me.

If anyone has any advice as to what options I may have to take matters into my own hands and get it resolved, or regarding what recourse I have with this lawyer, please let me know... I am basically broke and have no where else to turn... :confused:

Proserpina

You can check what has been filed by using PACER (though you do have to pay - I believe it's about 8 cents per page); PACER Service Center Home Page

You can also call the Trustee and let him/her know what's going on.

Are you able to physically go to the lawyer's office and see him/her?

Also, get in touch with the credit counseling company you used and request another copy of the certificate - it should be very simple to obtain.

Victor_J

Great, thanks... That is a big help. I think he only works out of his office, but I do have his address so I could go. My only concern there is that he knows I'm not happy, if not angry at the situation, and I am a pretty big guy so I don't want him to think that there is going to be some sort of confrontation.

In the end though, I just don't think the way he is conducting himself is right and I really wish I could do something so that he doesn't keep taking advantage of people due to the economy.

Thanks for your advice, I'm going to follow up first thing tomorrow morning with the trustee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">