• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being bullied by a J.D.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bimerman21

I was dating a juris dr. awaiting her bar #. Works for a local bankruptcy atty. She looked over a joint tenancy issue for my house and had their law firm send a letter to my ex fiance on the joint tenancy to request her to contact them to resolve taking her off of it. She refused to sign quit claim deed. Now my recent ex lady J.D. is becoming vindictive and threatening to contact my ex fiance to inform her of her rights to seek rent from me since I live in the home and also to inform her to pay me property taxes so that I cannot claim she has abandoned the property for 7 years. After the 7 years with no payment on taxes etc I can seek entire title to house for abandonement under Ga law. Question is if she does inform her, is there legal action I can take against the law firm that my ex J.D. works at since they were representing me and then sent this advice to her. I have a copy of the law firm letter originally sent. Any help is much appreciated. Im not a J.D. but Im being bullied by one. Just a 29 year old college student.

Mass_Shyster

J.D. is becoming vindictive and threatening to contact my ex fiance to inform her of her rights to seek rent from me since I live in the home and also to inform her to pay me property taxes so that I cannot claim she has abandoned the property for 7 years.
Call the firm she is working for and inform them that their soon-to-be associate does not seem to understand the Rules of Professional Responsibility regarding confidentiallity of information and loyalty to a former client.

RULE 1.6 CONFIDENTIALITY OF INFORMATION

(a) A lawyer shall maintain in confidence all information gained in the professional relationship with a client,

RULE 1.7 CONFLICT OF INTEREST: GENERAL RULE

(a) A lawyer shall not represent or continue to represent a client if there is a significant risk that the lawyer's own interests or the lawyer's duties to another client, a former client, or a third person will materially and adversely affect the representation of the client, except as permitted in (b).

Comment

Loyalty to a Client

[1] Loyalty and independent judgement are essential elements in the lawyer's relationship to a client. If an impermissible conflict of interest exists before representation is undertaken the representation should be declined. The lawyer should adopt reasonable procedures, appropriate for the size and type of firm and practice, to determine in both litigation and non-litigation matters the parties and issues involved and to determine whether there are actual or potential conflicts of interest.

Last edited:

bimerman21

Thank you. Would you consider that to still be a good idea if It is a friend she is working for and is the only attorney that owns the practice. Small bankruptcy practice in Alabama. I am basically being told to make amends with her and beg for forgiveness because I broke up with her. Or else.

Mass_Shyster

It doesn't really matter.

You can threaten to tell her boss, or your can threaten to tell the bar association, or you can tell her boss, or you can tell the bar association.

Note: The Rules of Professional Conduct I quoted are from GA, since that's the only state you mentioned. They're probably similar for Alabama, but you'll need to verify that.

latigo

I was dating a juris dr. awaiting her bar #. Works for a local bankruptcy atty. She looked over a joint tenancy issue for my house and had their law firm send a letter to my ex fiance on the joint tenancy to request her to contact them to resolve taking her off of it. She refused to sign quit claim deed. Now my recent ex lady J.D. is becoming vindictive and threatening to contact my ex fiance to inform her of her rights to seek rent from me since I live in the home and also to inform her to pay me property taxes so that I cannot claim she has abandoned the property for 7 years. After the 7 years with no payment on taxes etc I can seek entire title to house for abandonement under Ga law. Question is if she does inform her, is there legal action I can take against the law firm that my ex J.D. works at since they were representing me and then sent this advice to her. I have a copy of the law firm letter originally sent. Any help is much appreciated. Im not a J.D. but Im being bullied by one. Just a 29 year old college student.
I’m confused.

First you write, "J D "is threatening to contact by ex fiance (sic) and inform her, etc."

Next, what "if she (JD) does inform her".

But then it becomes, “and they sent this advice to her”.

And, “I have a copy of the law firm letter originally sent.”

So which is it? Past, present or future? And what letter, what content, what advice and sent to whom?

Has JD been duplicitous in giving the ex legal advice – revealed professional confidences to your adversary - sent a letter to the ex fiancée OR is she just threatening to do so?

(My goodness! You are a 29-year-old college student and you can’t communicate any clearer than you have here?)

In any event JD ain’t as smart as she may purport to be.

Regardless of who is occupying real property held in joint tenancy, short of a binding agreement, one joint tenant cannot legal require the payment of rent by another joint tenant. Period. End of story.

Plus, I would have to see some legal authority that one joint tenant can ouster another under principles of adverse possession without there being an explicit notice of intention to exclusively occupy the property and exclude the non-possessory co-tenant and proof that the latter had had actual or constructive notice of that intent to ouster. All for the required statutory period.

FOR INSTANCE: As in the Georgia case of Williams v. Screven Wood Company, Inc., 619 S.E.2d 641 (Ga. 2005), where the court stated the co-tenant claiming adverse possession must show acts inconsistent with, and exclusive of, the rights of the co-tenant not in possession, and the non-possessory co-tenant must have actual or constructive notice of those acts.

And in the Board of Trustees of the Tecolote Land Grant v. Griego, 104 P.3d 554 (N.M. Ct. App. 2004), the court held that “explicit notice” of an intent to oust is required.

This licensed attorney who is directly responsible for any work product from his underling JD would do well to stay with practicing bankruptcy law, because he doesn't seem to know much about the law of real property!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">