• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Billing with Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SUNSHINESTAR77

Colorado.
Hello I hired an attorney for a criminal case for my nephew... I am responsible for paying I paid the fee agreement. We have gone through trial and attorney said she would do appeal pro bono because the judge did something wrong... However.. I paid the retainer and 3000 extra dollars I have been trying for over a year for her to send me a bill... I have NEVER received not even one statement... I am at a loss I have paid 9000 but I have no idea where the money is going to I have not received anything in writing except signing the fee agreement.... Please help!! I am sure I owe more money but I dont want to keep sending payments with nothing received. The trial concluded a year ago and I have called multiple times and sent emails with no response Just the secretary giving me an estamate based on free agreement, Sounds fishy to me also no appeal has been filed
Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Colorado.
Hello I hired an attorney for a criminal case for my nephew... I am responsible for paying I paid the fee agreement. We have gone through trial and attorney said she would do appeal pro bono because the judge did something wrong... However.. I paid the retainer and 3000 extra dollars I have been trying for over a year for her to send me a bill... I have NEVER received not even one statement... I am at a loss I have paid 9000 but I have no idea where the money is going to I have not received anything in writing except signing the fee agreement.... Please help!! I am sure I owe more money but I dont want to keep sending payments with nothing received. The trial concluded a year ago and I have called multiple times and sent emails with no response Just the secretary giving me an estamate based on free agreement, Sounds fishy to me also no appeal has been filed
Thank you
Ask your nephew to get a copy and send it to you.

quincy

Colorado.
Thank you
If you hired an attorney "for" your nephew, the attorney will be corresponding with your nephew only and not you. I recommend you speak to your nephew about the status of the case and any invoices he might have received from the attorney.

SUNSHINESTAR77

I signed fee agreement

My nephew is a special needs client with the cognitive ability of a child I am responsible for the fee as I signed the fee agreement. He has never received any statements from the attorney. He has tried to contact her within the last year and all calls go unanswered. So that Is why I am trying to figure out what to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My nephew is a special needs client with the cognitive ability of a child I am responsible for the fee as I signed the fee agreement. He has never received any statements from the attorney. He has tried to contact her within the last year and all calls go unanswered. So that Is why I am trying to figure out what to do.
Then your nephew's conservator/guardian should be asking. In any case, YOU are not the client.

SUNSHINESTAR77

All I am trying to figure out is how much is still owed so I can pay. I dont want specifics and he has called the attorney as well but the call is never returned so he cannot ask for bill either. Sigh.. I am trying to do the right thing by this attorney I am just frustrated. Thanks for the advice Zigner

quincy

All I am trying to figure out is how much is still owed so I can pay. I dont want specifics and he has called the attorney as well but the call is never returned so he cannot ask for bill either. Sigh.. I am trying to do the right thing by this attorney I am just frustrated. Thanks for the advice Zigner
Here are two links, the first to the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys and the second to how to file a complaint against the attorney. You have to understand that the attorney represents your nephew, not you. He would be violating client/attorney privileges to communicate with you about the case.

https://www.cobar.org/index.cfm/ID/22119/CETH/Colorado-Rules-of-Professional-Conduct/

https://www.cobar.org/index.cfm/ID20004/DPWFP/For-the-Public/

If the attorney is handling the appeals for your nephew "pro bono," your nephew will not be billed for these services.

I wish you luck getting the matter resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">