• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

breach of confidentiality??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racer_x_

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nj

if i found out my lawyer was talking to outside parties about my case, people like his indirect family, what could i do about this?? is there any course i could take to perhaps get refunded any of my money from him for this??

justalayman

if i found out my lawyer was talking to outside parties about my case, people like his indirect family, what could i do about this??
what was said and do the other parties have anything to do with the courts or your case?

latigo

It has always been my belief that except for those that need to know and those that must know, there is no reason for anyone to be aware that an attorney/client relationship even exists!

But the way you’ve expressed your question suggest to me that you are less interested in protecting your privacy than you are in being remunerated when it is violated. And frankly that attitude comes off a bit too avaricious for my taste.

racer_x_

one of his indirect family members lives next door to a friend of mine. im not sure exactly what my attorney told him, but the family member was talking to the friend of mine the other day and told him something to the effect of "so *****(my attorney) tells me your buddy is gonna be doin some time"
this isnt the first instance of this. before this family memebr told my friend that he had been told my case looked good. this was before my discovery came out to my attorney and what not. so he obvioulsy has been talking about things with people other than me who are not directly involved in this case.

justalayman

well, if he is not speaking with people that would affect your case and he is not releasing privileged information, while I suspect it would be unethical, I doubt it would be illegal.

and as a basis for a discount; not likely.

so, if you don't want this guy as your attorney, fire him. If you think he has overcharged you, attempt to negotiate the bill.

Other than that, it is generally a good idea to be on good terms with your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">