• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an attorney charge a fee even if they do nothing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debodun

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Over a year passed after I won a small claims judgment and did not receive any payment from the defendant. I consulted my attorney in regard to trying to collect the judgment. I was told that about all I could do was to file a lien against the defendant. A few months later I received a bill from my attorney for $200 as a "consultation fee." I think that's a rip-off - $200 for 5 minutes of chit-chat?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Over a year passed after I won a small claims judgment and did not receive any payment from the defendant. I consulted my attorney in regard to trying to collect the judgment. I was told that about all I could do was to file a lien against the defendant. A few months later I received a bill from my attorney for $200 as a "consultation fee." I think that's a rip-off - $200 for 5 minutes of chit-chat?
The attorney did not "do nothing." I'm sorry but we don't set the rates of the attorney you chose.

sandyclaus

You consulted with the attorney. Unless they said in advance that the initial consultation would be free, the time you spend talking with the attorney would be billable time. And most attorneys round off to the nearest quarter hour when it comes to billing time.

If you didn't want to pay for the consultation, you should have found an attorney who offers a free initial consultation instead. Otherwise, their time to listen to your issue and advise you is money in their pocket, whether you like it or not.

Pay up for the service you received.

davidmcbeth3

If he did not tell you that he was going to charge you then you are free to argue the fee. Don't pay and see what happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">