• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get my money back from this guy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkjohnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia. I went with my 30 year old son on a Friday afternoon for a consultation with an attorney about child custody. The consult was supposed to be $100. The attorney told us he could probably get us in front of a judge for an emergency hearing right then, and that "it would only take a few minutes." The courthouse is across the street to the attorney office.

The attorney called the judge (supposedly), but he was unavailable. The judge never called him back. My son filled out some papers about himself and his children (w/o the attorneys help). The attorney said he needed at least half of the $5000 retainer right then. My son didn't have a check on him, so I wrote a check for $1500. (The check was blank in the 'Pay to the order of' and 'memo' sections) He said he could take the other $1000 on Monday morning, and we would see the judge at 9:30am again stating "it would only take a few minutes."

My son and I both called the attorney office first thing Monday morning to tell them he had changed his mind, and they were trying to work things out between them for the kids' sake. The attorney office said "No problem. We won't cash the check. We probably won't charge you anything because we haven't filed any paperwork."

Wednesday morning, the check was cashed. No one would return my phone calls. I went to their office Friday morning. First, the attorney tells me that everything he did Friday ate up the $1500. I argued that he didn't 'do' anything beyond the consult and making a phone call, and asked for a statement showing the charges. Then, he changed his story and said, "Well, we have a non-refundable retainer policy."

My argument is 1) No one said anything about a non-refundable anything, and 2) I didn't sign any agreement with them, but they have my money. We don't even know if my son signed anything because they didn't give him any paperwork. They just filled in the 'Pay to the order of' and the 'memo' section of my check, and cashed it.

Do I have any recourse?

OHRoadwarrior

Hope he does not come back for the other $1000. You agreed to give him a $2500 retainer. It was clear you wrote the check for that purpose. Changing your mind, does not change the $2500 retainer agreement. There was negotiation (meeting of the minds), offer, acceptance and consideration (check). That constitutes a contract.

latigo

Hope he does not come back for the other $1000. You agreed to give him a $2500 retainer. It was clear you wrote the check for that purpose. Changing your mind, does not change the $2500 retainer agreement. There was negotiation (meeting of the minds), offer, acceptance and consideration (check). That constitutes a contract.
Do you have any clue as to the definition of the word “retainer” as used in this context? It seems as if not, so I'll try to explain.

Retainer / n. a fee paid in advance to someone . . .”
(Webster’s New International Dictionary of the English Language - Page 2196)

Here it is an amount paid in advance for legal services "to be" rendered. Like you know, in the future?

And anyone with an ounce of common sense might understand the difference between services already performed and services TO BE performed.

Here the attorney admits to having performed no legal services (other than the consultation) and is not entitled to retain the entire retainer. He didn't earn it. Get it?

And if the proceeds of that check he negotiated were not deposited in the attorney's trust account then he has some explaining to do before the Georgia Bar.

Moreover, even if the funds were entrusted and he subsequently withdrew any portion thereof, then he needs to be able to correlate those withdrawals with services actually performed and billed.

And here there is not indication that the OP or her son has ever been presented with a statement of services tending to substantiate the use of those funds, entrusted or not.

With all due respect, you really ought to consider listening more to things you don’t understand and talking less about things you don’t understand.

OHRoadwarrior

Here you go flapping your jaws again. Please read OP's story again. OP had a consult, then the lawyer started action on the case and received his retainer for said service.

Do you have any clue as to the definition of the word “retainer” as used in this context? It seems as if not, so I'll try to explain.

Retainer / n. a fee paid in advance to someone . . .”
(Webster’s New International Dictionary of the English Language - Page 2196)

Here it is an amount paid in advance for legal services "to be" rendered. Like you know, in the future?

And anyone with an ounce of common sense might understand the difference between services already performed and services TO BE performed.

Here the attorney admits to having performed no legal services (other than the consultation) and is not entitled to retain the entire retainer. He didn't earn it. Get it?

And if the proceeds of that check he negotiated were not deposited in the attorney's trust account then he has some explaining to do before the Georgia Bar.

Moreover, even if the funds were entrusted and he subsequently withdrew any portion thereof, then he needs to be able to correlate those withdrawals with services actually performed and billed.

And here there is not indication that the OP or her son has ever been presented with a statement of services tending to substantiate the use of those funds, entrusted or not.

With all due respect, you really ought to consider listening more to things you don’t understand and talking less about things you don’t understand.

Mass_Shyster

Here you go flapping your jaws again. Please read OP's story again. OP had a consult, then the lawyer started action on the case and received his retainer for said service.
Interesting that you quoted latigo's response, but either didn't read it or didn't understand it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Dude you are wrong. Completely and totally wrong. OP's son had a consult. OP paid a portion of the required/requested retainer. The lawyer did some work. A retainer is NOT non-refundable. Especially when no (or little) work has been performed. Latigo has stated everything correctly.

OHRoadwarrior

Dude you are wrong. Completely and totally wrong. OP's son had a consult. OP paid a portion of the required/requested retainer. The lawyer did some work. A retainer is NOT non-refundable. Especially when no (or little) work has been performed. Latigo has stated everything correctly.
I will apologize if you say I am wrong, however, I do not believe I am. Attorney did work on case. No info has been presented to establish retainer was other than non refundable. Sorry Latigo.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I will apologize if you say I am wrong, however, I do not believe I am. Attorney did work on case. No info has been presented to establish retainer was other than non refundable. Sorry Latigo.
Attorneys cannot take "non-refundable" retainers. There is an ethics issue for it. Fees charged for work completed can NOT be outrageous -- which $1000 for an hour is outrageous. Retainers also must be placed in the IOLTA account.

OHRoadwarrior

Attorneys cannot take "non-refundable" retainers. There is an ethics issue for it. Fees charged for work completed can NOT be outrageous -- which $1000 for an hour is outrageous. Retainers also must be placed in the IOLTA account.
I found an article explaining where my misunderstanding lies. There is a difference between a retainer and a "true retainer fee". The "true retainer fee" is paid solely for the purpose of ensuring the availability of the member for the matter. It was interesting to note the article said many attorneys are not aware of the difference. Again I apologize Latigo. Thx OG.

rkjohnson

Thanks to everyone

Thank you to everyone who responded. You have all been very helpful, and I have the information I need.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Although I haven't checked Georgia, some states (including Michigan and Pennsylvania) allow for non-refundable retainers. The courts in these states have said that non-refundable retainers are not (necessarily) unethical IF there is a written and signed retainer agreement that CLEARLY states that the retainer is a non-refundable one.

Also, depending on the type of lawyer and his area of expertise and his experience, $1000 an hour may not be so outrageous (think criminal defense attorneys, IP attorneys, for example). ;)

That said, most states that have ruled on the matter do NOT allow for non-refundable retainers. I don't know about Georgia. And most attorneys will not make close to $1000 an hour.

Edit to add Georgia Bar Opinion: See http://www.gabar.org/barrules/handbookdetail.cfm?what=rule&id=532, Formal Advisory Opinion No. 03-1.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">