• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i get in trouble for withholding company property until i get the monies owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smeed

I was laid off over six months ago, and the company has refused to pay me my severance, vacation pay, and the last week pay owed to me. I have worked there for over 7 years. They are going through finincial difficuly and they offered me half of what i was owed and said lets call it even. I refused and they didn't pay me anything. I then filed a report with the employee standards. I was cleaning my house this week and discovered that i had cds that the company gave me. This cds are on how to operate their equipment. I have had them for several years and was told to take them home and keep them. I faxed my old boss pics of the equipment from the cds and told him he can have them back when the monies owed to me are paid. He called the police and they are visiting me tommorrow. I think he said i stole them. They have my name written on them in the boss's handwriting. I also didn't sign a confidentality agreement. My question is can i get in trouble for sending that fax to my old boss, and can i refuse to give back the cds until i'm paid the monies owed. They are the only leverage I have since the company may be going under and now that he remembers i have them he really wants them back . Also would i get into trouble if i decided to send them to competitors. (not for monetary gain, just for spite)i'm from ontario canada.Please let me know what my options are. Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">