• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take a bag and food to a jury summons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryan_hunter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Sorry if this is the wrong section, wasn't sure where to post this and couldn't find any definitive answers anywhere else online.

I have a jury summons next week and was planning to take a backpack with a couple of books to read as well as a lunchbox with food and drink. I am going by myself so I will not have anyone to hold my things for me. The summons is at noon however since I'm not going to be working that day anyway I figured I would sleep in, have breakfast at 11, and then lunch at 3ish or whenever there is a break. I have a few food allergies so I cannot eat food from restaurants or vending machines and this is why I must bring my own.

I was wondering if these 2 things (taking a backpack, and taking food) are allowed or not.

I am assuming women are allowed to bring purses and men would therefore be allowed to bring bags, however I want to be 100% sure before I show up with a bag and a lunchbox only to be told I can't bring it in and have to come back another time (or worse, be told I have to leave my bag outside the court room where it will surely be stolen!).

Thank you.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Sorry if this is the wrong section, wasn't sure where to post this and couldn't find any definitive answers anywhere else online.

I have a jury summons next week and was planning to take a backpack with a couple of books to read as well as a lunchbox with food and drink. I am going by myself so I will not have anyone to hold my things for me. The summons is at noon however since I'm not going to be working that day anyway I figured I would sleep in, have breakfast at 11, and then lunch at 3ish or whenever there is a break. I have a few food allergies so I cannot eat food from restaurants or vending machines and this is why I must bring my own.

I was wondering if these 2 things (taking a backpack, and taking food) are allowed or not.

I am assuming women are allowed to bring purses and men would therefore be allowed to bring bags, however I want to be 100% sure before I show up with a bag and a lunchbox only to be told I can't bring it in and have to come back another time (or worse, be told I have to leave my bag outside the court room where it will surely be stolen!).

Thank you.
You can contact the court or visit the court's website to find out what you are allowed to bring into court with you.

Here, for an example, is a link to the Collin County site: http://www.co.collin.tx.us/jury_services/Pages/faq.aspx

This really is not an ethics or malpractice issue but this section of the forum is, I suppose, as good as any for your question. :)

ryan_hunter

You can contact the court or visit the court's website to find out what you are allowed to bring into court with you.

Here, for an example, is a link to the Collin County site: http://www.co.collin.tx.us/jury_services/Pages/faq.aspx

This really is not an ethics or malpractice issue but this section of the forum is, I suppose, as good as any for your question. :)
Thanks Quincy. I live in Harris County. I looked at the Harris website but there appear to be separate pages for each type of court - how can I know which it's supposed to be?

Are they generally somewhat relaxed about petty things like this or is the policy very cut-and-dry? For example, the Collin County page you linked says that you may not bring food into the court room, but that you may bring food to consume in the hallway during breaks - assuming that a break means a break between the time you're in the court room, how would you get the food into the hallway afterwards if you had not first taken it into the court room? :confused:

The page also makes no mention of bags. If it is not listed as a prohibited item, is it safe to assume that it is allowed?

quincy

Thanks Quincy. I live in Harris County. I looked at the Harris website but there appear to be separate pages for each type of court - how can I know which it's supposed to be?

Are they generally somewhat relaxed about petty things like this or is the policy very cut-and-dry? For example, the Collin County page you linked says that you may not bring food into the court room, but that you may bring food to consume in the hallway during breaks - assuming that a break means a break between the time you're in the court room, how would you get the food into the hallway afterwards if you had not first taken it into the court room? :confused:

The page also makes no mention of bags. If it is not listed as a prohibited item, is it safe to assume that it is allowed?
The Harris County District Court website has a phone number so you can contact the county clerk with questions.

Here is a link to the site: http://www.justex.net/JurorInfo.aspx

Courts will offer reasonable exceptions to their rules for jurors with special needs. You can ask not only what is allowed and what is not allowed in the courtroom and the jury room, but you can also ask if there is a place in the courthouse where you can store your food, drinks, backpack. It is not safe to assume that items not listed as prohibited means those items are allowed.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

Do you have a medical need to eat at 3 pm (i.e., you're a diabetic on insulin for example)?

If not, eat breakfast at 11 and forget about bringing food. it's unlikely you're going to get a 3 pm break and if you do, it will be quite brief.

And whatever you do, DON'T pull out a book (or a newspaper) in the court room.

Gail

quincy

Do you have a medical need to eat at 3 pm (i.e., you're a diabetic on insulin for example)?

If not, eat breakfast at 11 and forget about bringing food. it's unlikely you're going to get a 3 pm break and if you do, it will be quite brief.

And whatever you do, DON'T pull out a book (or a newspaper) in the court room.

Gail
The courts I am familiar with operate 9 to 5, with a morning break, a mid-afternoon break and an hour (or so) for lunch.

Some courts advise that their jurors bring reading material with them to occupy themselves during the "down times." Electronic devices, on the other hand, are generally prohibited in both courtrooms and the jury rooms.

BUT all courts operate differently (although a noon summons seems unusual for any court) so ryan_hunter really needs to check with his specific court as to what he can and cannot bring with him - and where to store what he brings (some of the courts in my area have lockers).

FlyingRon

Around here, you can't even enter the court house with most electronic devices (and certainly not weapons, though we're a far cry from Texas).

quincy

Around here, you can't even enter the court house with most electronic devices (and certainly not weapons, though we're a far cry from Texas).
Texas tends to be a bit odd about guns but even in Texas it seems that weapons are not allowed in courthouses (with a few exceptions).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Don't know about Texas, but in MA you're instructed to call the individual courthouses. Most courts will allow electronic devices in the jury room, but not in the courtroom. The juror instructions expressly tell you to bring something to occupy you for the downtime (reading material, etc.) but to check with the individual court for what they will allow.

Gail in Georgia

"The courts I am familiar with operate 9 to 5, with a morning break, a mid-afternoon break and an hour (or so) for lunch."

True; however, the OP's summons is for noon so at best he'll be getting a mid-afternoon break of a couple of minutes. Not enough time for much more than a quick trip to the bathroom, then a hustle back to the courtroom (if he's even chosen for the jury).

Gail

quincy

"The courts I am familiar with operate 9 to 5, with a morning break, a mid-afternoon break and an hour (or so) for lunch."

True; however, the OP's summons is for noon so at best he'll be getting a mid-afternoon break of a couple of minutes. Not enough time for much more than a quick trip to the bathroom, then a hustle back to the courtroom (if he's even chosen for the jury).

Gail
Probably about 15 minutes for the break. I know a couple of elementary school-age kids who can inhale their food in that amount of time. :)

I still find the "noon" summons odd, though. The courts I know have 9 a.m. summons and generally have lunch from noon to 1-ish.

FlyingRon

Our courts have the jurors report in advance of the actual sessions. Our afternoon sessions don't tend to start until 2PM though (but we're on the east coast and I've generally find the schedules run a bit earlier in other time zones).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">