• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police be sued for divulging information to parents if over 18?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

remix919

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I've run into a weird problem and not sure if I can get any justice. I was arrested for marijuana possession under 1/2 oz and marijuana paraphernalia, I'm 28 years old, completely independent from my parents. When I was booked, I told them I specifically did not want my emergency contact called and there should be no reason for them to call my emergency contact (my parents) unless I'm dying while in their custody. Well, the spiteful police officer decided to call my parents and tell them all about my charges anyway. I come from a very conservative Asian family and now that the police not only told them of my charges, but also made it sound like I was some crazy drug lord or something. So now my family is disowning me because of the call made from that ******* cop. I can't even begin to explain how bad he has completely ****ed my life up just because he decided to be a dick and call my parents with my charges. Is there anything I can do to hold him accountable for his actions?

PS. I'm new to these forums and didn't know if this was the right forum, but it seemed the closest match.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I've run into a weird problem and not sure if I can get any justice. I was arrested for marijuana possession under 1/2 oz and marijuana paraphernalia, I'm 28 years old, completely independent from my parents. When I was booked, I told them I specifically did not want my emergency contact called and there should be no reason for them to call my emergency contact (my parents) unless I'm dying while in their custody. Well, the spiteful police officer decided to call my parents and tell them all about my charges anyway. I come from a very conservative Asian family and now that the police not only told them of my charges, but also made it sound like I was some crazy drug lord or something. So now my family is disowning me because of the call made from that ******* cop. I can't even begin to explain how bad he has completely ****ed my life up just because he decided to be a dick and call my parents with my charges. Is there anything I can do to hold him accountable for his actions?

PS. I'm new to these forums and didn't know if this was the right forum, but it seemed the closest match.
It's public record...stop smoking weed, your vision will clear.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry, WHO screwed up your life?

Don't want your parents to know that you committed a crime? Don't commit one. The cop couldn't have called them to say you were charged with a drug offense if you didn't have any illegal drugs.

So once more, who is at fault here? (HINT for those playing along at home; it isn't the cop.)

quincy

Your question really has nothing to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice.

Was there a need for you to be picked up from the station after your arrest, which necessitated a call to your emergency contact? Did you provide any alternative number for the police to call?

I do not see that it was the police officer who messed up your life. If you don't want your parents to know of any of your future drug uses/abuses/dealing/arrests, you should remove them as an emergency contact number.

I do not see that you have any legal action to pursue against the police officer.

remix919

I figured the haters would come out in force and of course blame ME for getting the charge, but those of you ARE MISSING THE POINT. Yes, I got a charge, and guess what, I am owning up to it and handling it myself because I am an ADULT! My issue is not whether or not what I did was wrong or whether I deserve the charge or not, my issue is the police going out of their way to defame me to my parents for no other reason than because the police officer wanted to make my life miserable.

remix919

Your question really has nothing to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice.

Was there a need for you to be picked up from the station after your arrest, which necessitated a call to your emergency contact? Did you provide any alternative number for the police to call?

I do not see that it was the police officer who messed up your life. If you don't want your parents to know of any of your future drug uses/abuses/dealing/arrests, you should remove them as an emergency contact number.

I do not see that you have any legal action to pursue against the police officer.

No, I bailed myself out immediately after being booked and processed and called an Uber back home. This would be nothing more than a couple simple misdemeanor charges if not for the officer calling my parents. And yes, I realize I have them listed as an emergency number, and that's what it should be, FOR EMERGENCIES. To my knowledge, the police are NOT supposed to call your emergency contact unless you are about to die in their custody. This officer clearly went out of his way and then furthermore made it sound like I was some monster to my parents when my charges are really just minimal.

quincy

I figured the haters would come out in force and of course blame ME for getting the charge, but those of you ARE MISSING THE POINT. Yes, I got a charge, and guess what, I am owning up to it and handling it myself because I am an ADULT! My issue is not whether or not what I did was wrong or whether I deserve the charge or not, my issue is the police going out of their way to defame me to my parents for no other reason than because the police officer wanted to make my life miserable.
First, there is no defamation. Defamation is a false statement of fact that injures a reputation. The police reported to your parents the truth - the fact of your arrest for drugs. You injured your own reputation.

And you additionally had down as an emergency contact your parents. Not smart.

The police officer may have been a jerk but you have no legal action to pursue against him for being a jerk. As Zigner said earlier, the fact of your arrest is a public record and, depending on your local news, your arrest could be published there as well.

And, finally, a "couple simple misdemeanor charges" is not exactly simple or minor. I recommend you locate a criminal defense attorney to assist you in court.

Last edited:

remix919

Yes, I can see you guys are all real adults, very easy to judge someone without really knowing the full circumstances isn't it? Once again, instead of everyone chiming in with stupid useless comments that have already been stated multiple times (yes, I can see all you real adults sure can read well), I would only like relevant information based on the question in hand instead of a bunch of ignorant people jumping on me and judging me for my actions.

*** Please don't take everyone take the above post offensively, it was meant ONLY for those that fit the criteria, I am getting useful information from some members here, but others seem just intent on putting the full blame on me without knowing the facts.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Nobody is defaming you. Telling the truth is not defamation. In fact, it's the exact opposite.

Try again, deary.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you are judging yourself. I simply provided other means by which people can legally be informed of your actions which you are not so proud of.

Proserpina

Yes, I can see you guys are all real adults, very easy to judge someone without really knowing the full circumstances isn't it? Once again, instead of everyone chiming in with stupid useless comments that have already been stated multiple times (yes, I can see all you real adults sure can read well), I would only like relevant information based on the question in hand instead of a bunch of ignorant people jumping on me and judging me for my actions.
Let me type more slowly for you.

Defamation. Involves. False. Information.

Telling somebody the truth is not defamation.

Are we clear yet? I mean I've got another hour or so before I have to do some important stuff, so you just let me know. K? K.

Silverplum

Is it difficult to conduct two tantrums simultaneously?

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194182

I suppose that's why your posts in both places are identical, even your responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">