• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can portion of legal fees be recovered in SC if no service performed???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ddsn_dvd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
My girlfriend and I were involved in an incident while on vacation in South Carolina and I was charged with CDV (criminal domestic violence). I was scared that I could be in serious trouble, so on the advice of my bondsman I hired an attorney he referred. The attorney charged me a total of $3500 to take my case and I’ve paid all but $500 to date. The Victims Advocate group has contacted my girlfriend multiple times, and since she does not want to press charges, they are going to have the prosecutor dismiss my case. The attorney I hired has done nothing for my case except take my payment on a monthly basis. Is there any way I can recover a portion of my legal fees?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC
My girlfriend and I were involved in an incident while on vacation in South Carolina and I was charged with CDV (criminal domestic violence). I was scared that I could be in serious trouble, so on the advice of my bondsman I hired an attorney he referred. The attorney charged me a total of $3500 to take my case and I’ve paid all but $500 to date. The Victims Advocate group has contacted my girlfriend multiple times, and since she does not want to press charges, they are going to have the prosecutor dismiss my case. The attorney I hired has done nothing for my case except take my payment on a monthly basis. Is there any way I can recover a portion of my legal fees?
You retained the services of an attorney to resolve the matter and now the matter has been resolved. I don't see any recovery due. Now if you call the attorney and negotiate a reduced settlement, that would be another story.

swalsh411

I would start by asking the attorney to show you what they did on your behalf. And if there is a next time, do a little more research. Unless you are in custody it is very rare you need an attorney right this minute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">