• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't find my lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nowwhattodo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I've been trying to reach my lawyer since July, to no avail. I've left phone messages, sent e-mails and just sent a certified letter.

Also, when I looked him up online, the Ohio Bar Association doesn't have a record of him. Good grief.

He's always been a great communicator so mostly I'm worried. I don't want to call the Bar Association about this - but I don't know what else to do or how much more time to give this.

BTW - the matter my attorney has been handling for me has to do with a student loan where several companies were billing me for the same promissory note. We were negotiating a settlement payoff - and now I have no idea what the status of it is.

thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I've been trying to reach my lawyer since July, to no avail. I've left phone messages, sent e-mails and just sent a certified letter.

Also, when I looked him up online, the Ohio Bar Association doesn't have a record of him. Good grief.

He's always been a great communicator so mostly I'm worried. I don't want to call the Bar Association about this - but I don't know what else to do or how much more time to give this.

BTW - the matter my attorney has been handling for me has to do with a student loan where several companies were billing me for the same promissory note. We were negotiating a settlement payoff - and now I have no idea what the status of it is.

thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Go to the Ohio Supreme Court website and search out your attorney on their attorney directory. If he is not there then he is not a registered attorney.

nowwhattodo

Thanks!

Do a search for your attorney name here:
Supreme Court of Ohio Public Attorney Information

If you can't find him, then contact your local bar association and ask. Local bars can be found here:
http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/AttySvcs/LawyerReferral/referral/LRIS.pdf
Thanks! I found him on the first link you gave me. It says he's active and shows his "Registration Number." That's a relief. Now if I can figure out why I haven't heard back from him in months. It's so much not like him.

Maybe he'll reply to the certified mail. :confused:

You Are Guilty

Thanks! I found him on the first link you gave me. It says he's active and shows his "Registration Number." That's a relief. Now if I can figure out why I haven't heard back from him in months. It's so much not like him.

Maybe he'll reply to the certified mail. :confused:
For all you know he's dead. Have you tried actually going to his office in person? That will be the easiest solution.

nowwhattodo

My worry too ...

For all you know he's dead. Have you tried actually going to his office in person? That will be the easiest solution.
Yes, I've tried that. However, his office is actually his home - a large estate with iron gates that are only open when he's expecting someone.

BTW - I've worried about the same thing because it's so unlike him to be out of touch this long. Now I'll go check the obit's online ... uggh

thanks for your help.

nowwhattodo

Thanks again ...

My attorney is alive and well - and I finally talked to him!

thanks everyone. Nice place you got here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">