• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

charging too much

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsscheh

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I hired a lawyer for a gross misdemeanor charge approx. 3/8/05. I ended up not needed his services effective 2 days after hire, because I had reached a plea agreement w/ the prosecutor. He still charged me $400.00 for : making 2 phone calls (1 of which he only left a message on a V/M), having contacted the courthouse to tell them he would be representing me in court (which the prosecuting atty never received) & having "opened my file" (what that means, I have no idea) He is charging me for a 2 hour rate. I never signed any documents, such as a retainer, etc. This seems a little extreme....am I wrong & is there anything I can do to get my money back?

IRISH GIRL

You should report him to the Bar Ass. for excessive fee dispute, plus you say you did'nt sign a retainer, i dont know about the laws in your state but to my knowledge the attorney is not hired untill you sign one, i dont care who he is, you cannot justify what you paid for 2 lousy phone calls, REPORT HIM/HER a/s/a/p

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">