• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbie2222

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My 1990 divorce papers state I need to pay $1000 monthly in child support. I paid the child support requested until around 5 years ago and because of financial hardship my ex agreed that I could pay $800 monthly. I have been paying $800 monthly for the past 5 years. Just recently she stated she wanted the full $1000 and all the back support over the past 5 years. She verbally agreed to this arrangment 5 years ago and even wrote in a letter she had agreed to it. Is she entitled to this money?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

debbie2222 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My 1990 divorce papers state I need to pay $1000 monthly in child support. I paid the child support requested until around 5 years ago and because of financial hardship my ex agreed that I could pay $800 monthly. I have been paying $800 monthly for the past 5 years. Just recently she stated she wanted the full $1000 and all the back support over the past 5 years. She verbally agreed to this arrangment 5 years ago and even wrote in a letter she had agreed to it. Is she entitled to this money?
Based on the contents of your post, yes, she is legally entitled to the back child support. Verbal agreements are worth only the price of the paper on which they are written.

stephenk

if she did write a letter agreeing to the lesser amount, you can use that as a defense for any claim for back support. did your agreement in writing note how long you would pay the lesser amount?

By the way, what does your question have to do with legal ethics and/or malpractice? you should post your question in the family law section under child support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">