• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confessed to crime...Possibly Drugged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BobbyWright

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

On June 15, 2012 my friend and I found a purse in a mall parking lot. I opened the purse & wallet and retrieved the owner's Identification (Drivers License). I looked her up on my phone internet and called her. The lady was very upset, crying because someone stole her purse.

My friend and I agreed to bring the purse to her house. We arrived about 45 minutes later. The lady thanked us, offered us a reward. We accepted the Thanks, but declined the reward. The lady then asked if she could cook dinner, or bake a pie for us. Being 2 college guys, homecooked meal sounded great, so we accepted.

We all agreed to have dinner with her and her husband on June 17, 2012. We arrived at her house, and seemed to have a good time. That was until I started feeling real weird, and lightheaded. My friend and I left about 30 minutes later.

I woke up the next day with a massive headache, and felt like I had a hangover, but I rarely ever drink. I decided to just relax in bed the whole day, but I was rudely awaken by the local sheriff department.

Seems I confessed to stealing the lady's purse, and she has the confession on audiotape. I was arrested and booked into jail. My bond was set at $2,000, which my friend paid and I was released.

The lady is now suing me in court for $5,000 plus $101.00 court fee for stealing the $5,000 from her purse. My friend did recall hearing me talking to someone between midnight and 1 a.m. the night of the dinner. I reviewed my phone and saw a number I did not recognize. I called the number back, and it was for a law office. Ironically the same law office the lady's brother is an attorney for. My lawyer found out that info for me.

My questions are:
1. Can a lawyer call me that late without my consent? Are there laws that govern the times a lawyer can call?
2. Can I somehow prove that I was possibly drugged? The only witness I have would be my friend, and he even said I was acting weird that night.
2b. How long would the drugs be in my system?
3. Can I prove that the confession was taken at a certain time? Between 12 a.m.-1 a.m.?
4. Why would I return a purse if I stole money from her?
5. Can I file a petition to have that lawyer disbarred, or have some file to prove his dishonesty with the state bar?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

On June 15, 2012 my friend and I found a purse in a mall parking lot. I opened the purse & wallet and retrieved the owner's Identification (Drivers License). I looked her up on my phone internet and called her. The lady was very upset, crying because someone stole her purse.

My friend and I agreed to bring the purse to her house. We arrived about 45 minutes later. The lady thanked us, offered us a reward. We accepted the Thanks, but declined the reward. The lady then asked if she could cook dinner, or bake a pie for us. Being 2 college guys, homecooked meal sounded great, so we accepted.

We all agreed to have dinner with her and her husband on June 17, 2012. We arrived at her house, and seemed to have a good time. That was until I started feeling real weird, and lightheaded. My friend and I left about 30 minutes later.

I woke up the next day with a massive headache, and felt like I had a hangover, but I rarely ever drink. I decided to just relax in bed the whole day, but I was rudely awaken by the local sheriff department.

Seems I confessed to stealing the lady's purse, and she has the confession on audiotape. I was arrested and booked into jail. My bond was set at $2,000, which my friend paid and I was released.

The lady is now suing me in court for $5,000 plus $101.00 court fee for stealing the $5,000 from her purse. My friend did recall hearing me talking to someone between midnight and 1 a.m. the night of the dinner. I reviewed my phone and saw a number I did not recognize. I called the number back, and it was for a law office. Ironically the same law office the lady's brother is an attorney for. My lawyer found out that info for me.

My questions are:
1. Can a lawyer call me that late without my consent? Are there laws that govern the times a lawyer can call?
2. Can I somehow prove that I was possibly drugged? The only witness I have would be my friend, and he even said I was acting weird that night.
2b. How long would the drugs be in my system?
3. Can I prove that the confession was taken at a certain time? Between 12 a.m.-1 a.m.?
4. Why would I return a purse if I stole money from her?
5. Can I file a petition to have that lawyer disbarred, or have some file to prove his dishonesty with the state bar?

1. Yes. No.

2. And you immediately went to the ER to be tested, didn't you? 2b. Depends on the drug.

3. Sure. Not sure why you think that's relevant though.

4. Because that's an easy way to not only assuage your own guilt, but to convince the owner that you're a "good" person and wouldn't have stolen anything.

5. What exactly has the attorney done wrong?

Now MY question.

Why aren't you asking your attorney these questions?

BobbyWright

1. Yes. No.

2. And you immediately went to the ER to be tested, didn't you? 2b. Depends on the drug.

3. Sure. Not sure why you think that's relevant though.

4. Because that's an easy way to not only assuage your own guilt, but to convince the owner that you're a "good" person and wouldn't have stolen anything.

5. What exactly has the attorney done wrong?

Now MY question.

Why aren't you asking your attorney these questions?

To answer #5; The lawyer called me after hours. In the middle of the night, that's not when you handle legal or professional business. Figured there was a law against this.

And to answer your question: Because my lawyer is charging me $250.00 an hour, and I don't have that type of money. I'd rather ask here, and get some quality answers that I can then present to my lawyer. (Sounds dumb, but its what I have to do).

Thank you for your response.

Proserpina

To answer #5; The lawyer called me after hours. In the middle of the night, that's not when you handle legal or professional business. Figured there was a law against this.

And to answer your question: Because my lawyer is charging me $250.00 an hour, and I don't have that type of money. I'd rather ask here, and get some quality answers that I can then present to my lawyer. (Sounds dumb, but its what I have to do).

Thank you for your response.

#5 - you tell that to the umpteen clients who have their attorneys on speed dial day and night - and vice versa.

;)

Well, the bottom line is that we really can't second-guess your attorney. S/he has all of the facts of your case and it would be irresponsible of us to try and insert our relatively uninformed (since we don't have those details) opinions.

BobbyWright

#5 - you tell that to the umpteen clients who have their attorneys on speed dial day and night - and vice versa.

;)

Well, the bottom line is that we really can't second-guess your attorney. S/he has all of the facts of your case and it would be irresponsible of us to try and insert our relatively uninformed (since we don't have those details) opinions.
Thank you again for your response. I could see if I was calling my lawyer, or telling my lawyer to call me at those hours, but this was a lawyer I never met, and if not for him calling me, I wouldn't even know existed.

Sorry for sounding dumb, but I can not fathom a lawyer being able to call someone they don't know in the middle of the night. I could understand a law enforcement agent, or someone of that nature calling, but not a lawyer. (Just boggles my mind).

And, on a sidenote: I did not go to the hospital/ER the following day. I was laying down in bed when the sheriff department came and arrested me. No blood test, just mugshot, fingerprints and paperwork.

bokaba

So to be clear, you are currently involved in two cases. You are being sued civilly for conversion of private property (or whatever it is called in your state) and being prosecuted for petit larceny by the district attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">