• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of Interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamielovett

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am currently going through a divorce and child custody dispute. My husband has relatives that are currently employed by the judicial system, his aunt is the county circut court clerk, uncle is a judge, and his mother is very good friends with the judge that is over our case. I asked my lawyer to have the judged changed and he said he couldn't and I asked to have the case moved to another county and he said my husband would have to agreee for the case to be moved. I need to know if this is a conflict of interest and what the steps I need to go through in order to have the case moved to another county.

Hot Topic

Do you have concrete evidence of a conflict of interest? That is, do you have personal knowledge of anyone with a link to the court telling someone else that a verdict against you was assured? Or do you just have a feeling that you'll lose?

jamielovett

Coi

I don't have any evidence of an assurred verdict in favor of my soon to be ex husband, I just know how this town and judicial system opperates. Small southern town and knowing the capablities my soon to be ex mother in law has, I know I don't have a chance in hell. Reguardless of the fact I was a stay at home mother for 7 years until I got a job working 2nd shift and he was laid off, then everything went to hell in a hand bag.

latigo

I think you have the wrong attorney. Meaning from the wrong county.

Because it seems to me that the one you have is reluctant to question the professional integrity of a judge that he must face on a weekly if not daily basis. A judge that should recuse on his own initiative because of his friendship with a parent of a party.

Whether or not the judge feels that he will be persuaded because of that relationship is not the issue. The perception of impartiality is just too glaring.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">