• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newfound0519

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My attorney represented me in a child custody case, but has given advice to the other party in this case. Apparently my the other party was told by my lawyer that he could call him if he had any questions. The other party is now turning to my attorney for information about claiming the child on taxes. Isn't this a conflict of interest on the attorneys part? or would it not be because my attorney isn't being hired?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My attorney represented me in a child custody case, but has given advice to the other party in this case. Apparently my the other party was told by my lawyer that he could call him if he had any questions. The other party is now turning to my attorney for information about claiming the child on taxes. Isn't this a conflict of interest on the attorneys part? or would it not be because my attorney isn't being hired?
It may not be a conflict of interest if the other party is asking your attorney about things that are in or not in the court order. Its kind of stupid on the other party's part, as its likely that any answers your attorney gives will be slanted in YOUR favor.

tranquility

I don't think this would be a conflict of interest so much as a possible breach of confidentiality.

If you don't like it, tell your attorney. Be prepared to find another if the way you tell annoys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">