• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of priviledged rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

216love

State of Michigan

My boyfriend hired a lawyer to assist in getting his name on the birth certificate of his daughter? After approximately 9 months the case was dismissed because the child's mother ex-boyfriend signed an affidavit of parentage. His attorney indicated that the case was dismissed because the wrong order was filed. The attorney blamed him for not telling him an affdiavit was filed; however, he did not know. The only thing he knew was that the other guy's name was on the birth certificate. My boyfriend told him that he came to him for his expertise and was under the impression that he would have requested all documentation filed. After a heated conversation and my bofyriend walking out of the office, the attorney then decided to retain the child's mother who later filed the same suit, Complaint To Establish Paternity, against my boyfriend. Isn't this a conflict of interest since the attorney has priviledged information?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
State of Michigan

My boyfriend hired a lawyer to assist in getting his name on the birth certificate of his daughter? After approximately 9 months the case was dismissed because the child's mother ex-boyfriend signed an affidavit of parentage. His attorney indicated that the case was dismissed because the wrong order was filed. The attorney blamed him for not telling him an affdiavit was filed; however, he did not know. The only thing he knew was that the other guy's name was on the birth certificate. My boyfriend told him that he came to him for his expertise and was under the impression that he would have requested all documentation filed. After a heated conversation and my bofyriend walking out of the office, the attorney then decided to retain the child's mother who later filed the same suit, Complaint To Establish Paternity, against my boyfriend. Isn't this a conflict of interest since the attorney has priviledged information?
Yes it is a conflict. The attorney should NOT be representing your boyfriend's ex against him in paternity suit. Your boyfriend should file a complaint with the Bar Association.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes it is a conflict. The attorney should NOT be representing your boyfriend's ex against him in paternity suit. Your boyfriend should file a complaint with the Bar Association.
I suspect you've fallen victim to the whole "3rd party doesn't have all the info" trick...

ecmst12

First of all, the attorney does not retain the client. Second of all, isn't establishing paternity what he WANTED to happen in the first place???

216love

@ohiogal: thank you. that's what we thought in the first place but as zigner indicated, I may not have all the information. It just didn't sound right to me.

@ecmst12: Okay the client retained the attorney and yes it is what he wanted. I just thought it was odd that the same attorney would take her case.

@zigner: You are more than likely right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">