• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflicting Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethgop

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA
While my case was being appealed, one of the defendants filed Chap 7.
My atty and I found out after I won the appeal and before the lower court reversed its original ruling. Should my lawyer have filed to reopen the BK case?
Aside from filing a Writ of Execution, my atty did not do anything else to collect the judgment against the other defendant who did not file BK. I have been informed by another atty that my atty (any atty for that matter) should have known to go to the BK court and filed a motion to reopen the case? He now claims that after all he is not a BK expert.

JETX

bethgop said:
While my case was being appealed, one of the defendants filed Chap 7.
My atty and I found out after I won the appeal and before the lower court reversed its original ruling. Should my lawyer have filed to reopen the BK case?
Nope. A chapter 7 liquidation is simply that... a liquidation of the petitioners exempt assets. As long as the petitioner is able to show the trustee that his/her debts exceed the reasonable potential for assets, the court will generally grant the discharge. Your additional debt would simply have increased their debt load.

Aside from filing a Writ of Execution, my atty did not do anything else to collect the judgment against the other defendant who did not file BK.
That is a separate issue and not related to the bankruptcy debtor.

I have been informed by another atty that my atty (any atty for that matter) should have known to go to the BK court and filed a motion to reopen the case?
The other attorney was either confused.... or you were.

He now claims that after all he is not a BK expert.
DOH!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">