• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contingency fee in product liability class action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused@55

What is the name of your state? Washington state
I became involved in a product liability case in 2003 involving the death of a family member. The contingency fee agreement I enterd into at the time is a 40% contingency fee. The case was moved to a Multidistrict litigation MDL and in 2004 a class settlement was proposed. As part of the settlement, the company being sued has set asside 22% of the settlement money to pay Class Counsel fees outside of each individual's settlement. Under this agreement my lawyers still feel that their 40% fee agreement is valid and that they should receive 40% of my settlement. I feel that since they did not do the major portion of discovery in the case as it related to the company's information and liability that the fee should be reduced. Who should I contact to object to the fees and what would be reasonable fee under these circumstances.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">