• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal attorney question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cgm0826

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
basically, i was convicted of a strike felony (theft) almost 6 months ago and my lawyer had mentioned to the judge to make me look like i was changing my life that i was working on my addiction to marijuana. and the judge put me on formal probation with narcotics testing. i am a qualified patient in california with medical records proving my chronic back pain and anxiety. i have my state issued medical marijuana ID as well as my physicians recommendation. i know that senate bill 420 protects parolees/probationers. i want to schedule a Probation Condition Modification Hearing. i had a very well known and respected criminal attorney my mother hired for me but my mom is against this medical marijuana deal, but i am 19 years old and of course i do not need her consent. but i have heard if you have an attorney you cannot be appointed a public defender. and i am in no position financially to hire an attorney myself. my question is, is my attorney legally obligated to defend me in this hearing since it is his case whether i personally hired him myself? he is my attorney for this case whether i paid or not am i correct? if i am not correct, i would like to know how to go about getting this scheduled with a public defender and what my chances are of getting the judge to okay it. PLEASE HELP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">