• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

denied court records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustratedmomrj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? US My son is currently incarcerated. He has ask the jail for his paperwork and they denied him said he had to get it from the court. He wrote a letter to court requesting his papers and was told that because he has a lawyer he has to get the papers from him. I myself have contacted his lawyer asking for copies of my sons paperwork and he is suppose to send them to me....that was 2 weeks ago. Does the court have a right to deny my son the paperwork whether he has a lawyer or not ?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? US My son is currently incarcerated. He has ask the jail for his paperwork and they denied him said he had to get it from the court. He wrote a letter to court requesting his papers and was told that because he has a lawyer he has to get the papers from him. I myself have contacted his lawyer asking for copies of my sons paperwork and he is suppose to send them to me....that was 2 weeks ago. Does the court have a right to deny my son the paperwork whether he has a lawyer or not ?
You did not name your State. We can't help you without that info.

quincy

Has your son asked his attorney for the "paperwork" or are you the only one who has contacted your son's attorney?

What "paperwork" is your son looking to be provided? Court records?

frustratedmomrj

Has your son asked his attorney for the "paperwork" or are you the only one who has contacted your son's attorney?

What "paperwork" is your son looking to be provided? Court records?
yes...court records. I have ask his lawyer for copies. My sons lawyer has had no contact with him since he was incarcerated

quincy

yes...court records. I have ask his lawyer for copies. My sons lawyer has had no contact with him since he was incarcerated
If you are just looking for the court records pertaining to your son's trial, you can file a freedom of information request with the court and obtain them that way. Your son's attorney, however, does not have to provide copies to you as you are not the attorney's client.

Be prepared to pay copying fees.

Good luck.

frustratedmomrj

If you are just looking for the court records pertaining to your son's trial, you can file a freedom of information request with the court and obtain them that way. Your son's attorney, however, does not have to provide copies to you as you are not the attorney's client.

Be prepared to pay copying fees.

Good luck.
This all took place in a small town court

frustratedmomrj

Why do you think that makes a difference?
There was no trial. I have already looked at our county court and found nothing. The clerk and judge from our town court told me all I could have was the charge and the conviction
Now we are being denied from seeing any of it.They told my son that because he has a lawyer they can't give him copies...he has to get them from his lawyer

Silverplum

There was no trial. I have already looked at our county court and found nothing. The clerk and judge from our town court told me all I could have was the charge and the conviction
Now we are being denied from seeing any of it.They told my son that because he has a lawyer they can't give him copies...he has to get them from his lawyer
Then I don't see the problem. He has not been denied his records.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what do you expect having these papers to accomplish?

I'm not saying he (this is his issue, not yours) is wrong to want them or that he's not entitled to them. I am looking for something specific that may, or may not, provide you with an answer. What is it that you think can happen, or that you can prove, or that will be changed, if you/he can get your hands on these records?

BTW, his lawyer is not responsible to YOU. Only to your son.

quincy

What sort of court case is this that has resulted in your son's incarceration? What court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">