• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Did the Judge violate my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

Your request is so off topic, and I am certainly not doing your research for you, but in the interest of putting this to bed, go google up your local court's administrative rules and you will have your answer. I suspect you'll be rather surprised at just how much power a judge has to control their own docket.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ronin and YAG and the others are correct. The PD should NOT have asked for a continuance the DAY BEFORE the trial. she should have asked for it three weeks ahead of time so that she would have time to be properly prepared. The last minute continuance is ON HER and her incompetence.

Why waste my time looking at the court rules in my circuit. I don't, nor would I, expect to find anything there that supercedes the U.S. Constitution.

I am not defending the P.D.s lack of preparation. I am saying however that knowing she was unprepared, and continuing with the scheduled trial date, the judge was a party to me being denied effective assistance of counsel.

Clearly a violation of my Constitutional rights granted by the sixth. I say again, if she is unprepared, who should be punished, her, or me?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why waste my time looking at the court rules in my circuit. I don't, nor would I, expect to find anything there that supercedes the U.S. Constitution.

I am not defending the P.D.s lack of preparation. I am saying however that knowing she was unprepared, and continuing with the scheduled trial date, the judge was a party to me being denied effective assistance of counsel.

Clearly a violation of my Constitutional rights granted by the sixth. I say again, if she is unprepared, who should be punished, her, or me?
That is all in YOUR opinion. Caselaw defines what effective assistance of counsel is. The rules for a continuance must be followed. If she was not ready she should have filed sooner. Last minute continuances are not granted just because someone says they want more time.

Isn't it reasonable to think preparedness is going to be in that case law.

Gideon v Wainwright, 372 U.S. 335

Assistance meaning "prepared, effective assistance"

You don't get it and you never will.
If the "it' you're talking about is assistance with counsel before an impartial judiciary, You're right I didn't get it.

If the "it" you're talking about is your cavalier attitude about the Bill of Rights, and belief that the Court Docket takes precedence over the Rights of the accused, you're right I don't get it.

If the "it" you're talking about is my grasp of the Constitution, and the case law that supports it, You're wrong, I get it. Do you?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the "it' you're talking about is assistance with counsel before an impartial judiciary, You're right I didn't get it.

If the "it" you're talking about is your cavalier attitude about the Bill of Rights, and belief that the Court Docket takes precedence over the Rights of the accused, you're right I don't get it.

If the "it" you're talking about is my grasp of the Constitution, and the case law that supports it, You're wrong, I get it. Do you?
Says the op to the to the family law attorney... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zigner, are you just on a mission to increase your post count? Your input on both of the threads I started has been limited to one liners, and insults.

You shall be in my prayers for sometime. Bless you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">