• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a discharged lawyer entitled to fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yort

What is the name of your state Illinois

We are unhappy with the our attorney's services. Without going into lengthy detail, we feel that he is not concerned about our best interests and is simply trying to settle our case as easily as possible. However, we had signed a contract that seems to indicate that he is entitled to a third plus expenses of any settlement regardless if he settles the case or not. So my question is, if we did chose to hire a different lawyer, would we have to pay a third to both lawyers? How can this guy be entitled to anything for just making a few phone calls?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Yort

Hey justalayman do you have a law degree? I think everybody knows that any contract is up for interpretation, whether it's legal or not legal.

justalayman

you asked, I answered. I don;t have (nor do I want) the contract to review.

based on what you posted, my interpretation is that you will owe the first attorney unless you have some reason to void the contract.

Yort

I'm trying to determine the value of your interpretation. Evidently it's not much. I think you should go back to being justalayman.

justalayman

didn't anybody ever tell you you get what you pay for?

Regardless of my education or licenses held, you have a correct answer given the info provided. Best of luck to you.

Oh, I would suggest a interview with another attorney who can actually read the entire contract and discuss possible actions.

Come on back and tell me I am wrong after that.

las365

Your wife's attorney has done a lot more than just make a few phone calls. The firm has worked on her case for over a year, compiled the information on your wife's damages, made the demand, and is in the process of trying to negotiate a settlement.

You keep posting seperate threads with only part of the story in each.

You think your wife should get $250K, but that may be a pipe dream unless there are enough monetary damages to support a settlement or award of at least $375K - and enough insurance coverage to provide it, or a wealthy defendant.

Plus you keep saying "we," but it is your wife's case.
It would be better if you kept all of your questions in one thread so people could get something that resembles the whole story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">