• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Lawyer Probs in Ohio any HELP out there

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dianealmond

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Divorce in asthabula county Ohio.
I fled an abuser of 32 yrs marriage from home in Ohio and relocated in NC. Paid a Ohio female attny for divorce..stepping right into madness. WIth over a million in marital assets & marital spouses retiree income of over $66,000 yr. This 58 yr old suffering from panic/anxiety disorder with no resources of my own had no court ordered support-husband pilfered $73k from IRA-falsified affidavit of income to judge etc etc-& more I in poverty while husband lives in our 14 acres estate lavish home w/all comforts. I tried everything a layman could do to fight the legal system ..by appealing to legal advocates, abused women's orgs..calling the courts, faxing the judge's office while my attny did nothing-but cause me so much grief & with my back against the wall..as time was against me since living in a very unsafe environment..and unable to get probono counsel I settled for a VERY unfair settlement at final hearing since she told me in three days all would be recorded and what monies accepted would be disbursed and here I am 14 days later broke in more horror as lawyers take their turn on vacations,no entry filed, a woman-hater husband saying it will be 6 months with glee...and I am the pawn. There has to be some kind of justice. I need this all expedited.Malpractice attnys want beaucoup bucks with million dollars in damages tho told I have many grounds for suit against my attny. Its a nightmare with a legal/court system having aided my husband to squeeze me out and will not have the financial security to live out what remains of my life in the security as I should. Everyone I have contacted hems and haws and says this is typical tho sooooo unfair..too bad, sdorry they could not help. Diane

dianealmond

How to sue for malpractice

Sorry if I did not ask questions but instead just blurted out part of the madness I have been in..and still in.
Living here in NC...I wondered if I could file suit myself (pro se) for malpractice against my divorce attorney? OR have heard there are attorneys that will do probono for many reasons in such cases..where they are??...hmmm...if I had such a pool to dip into of probono lawyers.. I would have fired this attny long ago...but have to ask any way. Also, any other ways ...via a paralegal..in Ohio? Perhaps is there a site online that spells out the process for suing for malpractice involving ones divorce attorney??
An appeal I read costs $10,000-20,000 for the divorce granted...I loathe how I have been caught up in all of this.
I know it is said that it is not in ones interest to rep oneself in the courts but having gone thru what i have had to...I would take me chances any day...facing the court myself in lieu of a shifty inefficient cold hearted attorney...IF I have an outline of what to do...resources for info.
Thats my question...the options of how I can sue this woman for my losses and the grief..and that should be disbarred.
Diane

BelizeBreeze

dianealmond said:
Sorry if I did not ask questions but instead just blurted out part of the madness I have been in..and still in.
Living here in NC...I wondered if I could file suit myself (pro se) for malpractice against my divorce attorney?
For what? Going on vacation?
OR have heard there are attorneys that will do probono for many reasons in such cases..where they are??...hmmm...if I had such a pool to dip into of probono lawyers.. I would have fired this attny long ago...but have to ask any way.
You have no case that you have stated for anyone to take, much less for free.
Also, any other ways ...via a paralegal..in Ohio? Perhaps is there a site online that spells out the process for suing for malpractice involving ones divorce attorney??
Again, based on what?
An appeal I read costs $10,000-20,000 for the divorce granted...I loathe how I have been caught up in all of this.
Caught up in all of what? To date you have only said that you are in a divorce, have a stipulated agreement worked out that really is in negotiation and that's it.
I know it is said that it is not in ones interest to rep oneself in the courts but having gone thru what i have had to...I would take me chances any day...facing the court myself in lieu of a shifty inefficient cold hearted attorney...IF I have an outline of what to do...resources for info.
And that simply proves my point. You are letting your ass overload your mouth and your brain is paying the price. State ONE THING this attorney has done that is either unethical or illegal. So far you have not.
Thats my question...the options of how I can sue this woman for my losses and the grief..and that should be disbarred.
Diane
What Losses? Lady, you need to get a grip on reality. It is obvious from your post that this is your first divorce. Take a gin and tonic and a darvon and get a frikkin' grip.

dianealmond

What Losses? Grip on reality? you say

OHIO
What Losses? Lady, you need to get a grip on reality. It is obvious from your post that this is your first divorce. Take a gin and tonic and a darvon and get a frikkin' grip.
GRIP??? Who the hell are you? Another FINE lawyer? I did not want to list ALL.
*I fled an abuser of 32 yrs with nothing but what was on my back to relocate to NC for safety - no means of supporting myself - no resources of my own at age 58. I was assured with the substantial assets and property that adequate support would be immediately forthcoming and I would have financial security for the rest of my days. ..and she was aware that I suffered for 25 yrs with PD/anxiety from this abusive relationship..which I will not detail the special needs re: my disorder to have such a person like yourself mock or berate
* Attny filed the divorce,restraining order, and for support....and that was it. NO support. I begged her for months to get me support as I was living in poverty. My husband having $66.000 per yr in income $5500 a month). Living on our estate in luxury. She did NOTHING..and have been told by a malpractice attny and other attnys that ONE month max it would have taken for support. She gets a court hearing for which she did not need to get support ..4 months later for support and CANCELS it since she had something better to do..without telling me it ever was. (tho I was in communication with her often trying to monitor her without any result for her excuses and lies were endless)..I found this out by eventually finding my docket online. Meanwhile I on my own find out that husband has dispersed property in house. Has taken $73,000 from an IRAand who knows what else also..has removed me as beneficiary from all. ANd after pleads..she finally goes to judge and opposing attny offers up an affadavit of income from my husband...and my husband..LIES thru his teeth saying his income is $24,000 a year. AGAIN she is doing nothing while I am making one discovery after another and she is disinterested..to I am asking WHY cant something be done. NOW I am STILL without support. She is ambiguous and often not replying to any contact with her...and she has NEVER given me an itemized bill after asking from day one NO copies of anything, filings, actions, etc etc. as asked. I meanwhile am finding out more about her bad reputation..am in dire need of support. Am living in a rental in the drug infested barrio of NC and burglarized..during the day. Bills are past due. About to be evicted. No food...while my husband has his meals out...at bar everyday and still has the housekeeper cleaning each week. I have NO meds for anxiety - can not see the dentist with absesses and in pain. Have medical and dental but cant afford even the $20 copay. She has NOT from day one which should have been done had made any attempt to get discoveries for what the heck my husband is doing with nearly 800k of marital asset$$..has not ordered depositions..has not added my husband's annuity of 210k etc on the restraining order..is not doing anything about contents of home going out the door. My attorney advises me to seek social services. Or maybe try to get a credit card and draw money on it to survive. I am asking WHY is she not going for emergency support? or stopping all else...and she continues evading and saying the judge takes his time in these matters. I also am trying to change lawyers but without funds to do anything and no agency, entity I can find to help me. After continual pleads to her finally
She files for TWO hearings SUPPORT and Motion to Show Cause in AUGUST and my appearance is mendatory. I meanwhile luck out and qualify somehow for a credt card to pay off bills and late charges of many..and catch up my in the red empty checking account...and draw money to make the trip to Ohio paying a companion as well to drive me since I can not drive with anxiety. She says my husband and his attorney are shaking in their boots worried that my husband will be jailed for contempt/perjury..and the checkbook is waiting open. I show up a day ahead...as she requested to go over things. Her paralegal husband meets me instead LATE that night..and seems as disinterested as she in all thats on the line. I get to court house to only be told by my attny's secretary 3 minutes to first hearing...that ALL IS OFF. finally get in touch with attny 5 hours later. She has set up a meeting the next day in her office of all parties for a settlement that will be very much in my favor. She says I will be reimbursed for my travel to and fro expenses, back support of approx $20K, etc etc. I show at 9 am in the morning as told..and wait TEN HOURS in her office for HER appearance. Then to see the dance bwtn his lwyer and mine and she and he...and all that rot...in closed doors while I sit outside..and finally demand the face to face. She whispers TRUST ME...I play poker very well. She DOES nothing but sit there bored and disinterested...while I listen to a top attny offer me..and total inequitable settlement...and does not offer up any back support, reinbursement of expensese for travel. I ask for figures of money in ira and Annuity and my husband is trying to fluff off and hide the annuity of $210k, says his false affadavit was just an oversight..says my inheritance of 25K two years ago was never...says my dad's gift to me of 160K was never. He has ALL records but wont bring to the table. IRA pifering is not discussed. I get instead to see TWO checks combined maybe for $5000k one of which an irs tax refund..both joint...and both having my name forged on it..but he could not cash tho tried since he closed joint accounts. AND I am coerced to sign these checks and promised I will be wired my share in two days. ALSO I have to accept advance of my share of the IRA...for a sum...rather than receiving back support for alot more than the advacne and my cost is also 25% for him advancing me...and that will be sent to me. I tried to speak up for myself but was ignored. I asked for copied of checks forged and ignored. I asked and asked for my attny to SPEAK OUT...and was ignored...and after they all left she said I was a tantrumming child..and I am sure YOU will have something to say for that. I was merely speaking up when nothing else was happening. I go home...to only pay what has been racked up in bills...and NO money comes for TWO weeks. A judge had made a support order for $1000 based on a false affadavit...which my rent alone in the pits of NC is $925 a month. So I get to draw more money on the card for survival...and NOW we have a final contested hearing in Oct. I again try everywhere to get another attny but they ALL want money upfront which I do not have. I am still in an unsafe rental...and take a chance and find a lease option...since I can not move and move again...and hoping Oct 3rd justice will be served. My own research tells me that a contested divorce can go on for years..and I have NO time left. Try to the last minute before leaving for Ohio again to find out if ths hearing can be delayed by opposing attny again..and told anything can happen by court personnel. MY attny asks me for $1000 for getting supoenas two weeks after Aug 7th and discoveries, subpoenas for witnesses saying I NEVER asked for such and should know better. I comply drawing money from card since I have to get this to go to final..and without any other choice. I am thinking of firing her and representing myself in court with judge but scared stiff. I ask via our emails what about the discoveries and suubpoenas and supply her with witness names..and NO replies..and then avoidance..ONLY to finally to be told that she did NOTHING..and the process was to meet at this final contested hearing and then schedule ANOTHER hearing and THEN she will do all. ANOTHER stall...in halls outside court
Offers keep coming in from my husband's attny. In last min...before judge comes in...i take the offer...because I am against the wall and lawyer says judge will sign off next day...final decree will be filed/recorded the next..THREE DAYS AT TOPS and money can begin to be dispersed...WIth over a MILLION DOLLARS IN ASSETS....I get 248K less taxes. NO inheritance credit. NO back support. NO future support. NO medical and dental. HE gets the custom house on 14 acres which we put 300,000 plus in CASH to build 5 years ago. Exquisite home. ALL contents in the 4000 sq foot home packed with antiques and 32 years of memories and treasures... inside and out...including most of my family items...while I drive off with a 5x8 trailer full of most of tiddly smalls (ONE curio) mostly dishes and pots and pans my mother gave me...TUPPERWARE...and given ONE hour to remove what he ALLOWED me to have left in garage and I could NOT go inside house..OR touch anything else OR he would call the cops. He had some person there watching me. i go back to NC....and its NOW two weeks later and MY attny is on vacation...and NOTHING has been filed. My ex says it could take 6 months with utter glee....and is not willing to pay court order support of 1000 even. I am without a dime...and I have no way to stop the madness.
and if YOU can tell me that this is HOW a woman should be dealt with..and there is NOTHING to sue for..OH by the way..her fees she is hinting but not showing any paper work on..$15,000 while my husbands top attny was $4,000. SO tell me Mister nasty mouth...is your idea of a grip on reality???

ConnyNR5

I hate to tell you this,but this is what happens when you get divorced and the reason why do not matter,at least you don't have to support small children and only yourself now.You are not the first person this happen to.Either you learn to take care of yourself or go back to your husband.Whatever else happens I wish you luck.

dianealmond

hate to tell yah ...but

<<hate to tell you this,but this is what happens when you get divorced and the reason why do not matter,at least you don't have to support small children and only yourself now.You are not the first person this happen to.Either you learn to take care of yourself or go back to your husband.Whatever else happens I wish you luck.>>

You'd be singing a different tune if roles were reversed. People only feel usually for themselves. However, you are saying this is how the law works...and what family law means by equitable division of property and all else about the matters of consideration as to age, length of marriage and health etc etc...as stated in family lawSO you are saying in essence that all that is garbaaage. One can NOT learn to take care of themselves if beyond the job market age and has health issuesNOR should they have to if they have shared over decades in the accumulation of wealth.
Hmmmmm so when you are 60 and you have worked all your life and saved all your life savings and are sick perhaps and all your funds are emptied out of your bank acct... IDentity fraud then I suppose you will just say...OH WELL....thats just how it goes..let me just lay down and get a pillow and sleep in the street. til I learn how to take care of myself. NO use going after the jerk....its just how it goes. Those laws about such....are nothing. c'est la vie

Came into this forum for some reasonable exchange of law...etc. It appears it does not exist here. Must be the new age...or this forum sucks

ConnyNR5

Lady you have no idea what I have gone through myself,you only pitty yourself get over it,I was telling you that things could be worse.the law isn't on your side just because you feel sorry for yourself.Good luck in trying to find a lawyer who take your case probono,people gone throughworse than you and haven't had any more luck than you.Stop having pity for yourself and deal with things,there is not going to be a miraccle over night and some1 is going to pay your bills.
If you want legal advice get another lawyer,sorry that you don't have the money for one,but thats live.You wanted advice and you got it,no one here is going to court for you.
again
good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">