• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

music1871

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

The attorney who did property settlement papers for me took me to small claims court for charges that my ex was supposed to pay. That was in Dec. 2007 so a judgement was filed against me. In Jan. 08 (less than a month later) I sold a rental house back to my ex and the closing attorney cleared that outstanding balance & paid the attorney. In August of this year, 19 months later, I applied for a Visa card and was denied based on outstanding court judgment.
I called the attorney's office and was told the bill had never been paid. I got a copy of the closing statement and saw that lawyer B had paid lawyer A. Amazing, within a few days after I had checked at the court house and with the other lawyer, all of a sudden it was paid!
I feel like I've been damaged because the lawyer did not satisfy the judgement immediately when it was paid. Do I have a case to file against the E&O company of the attorney?

Mass_Shyster

I applied for a Visa card and was denied based on outstanding court judgment.
I feel like I've been damaged because the lawyer did not satisfy the judgement immediately when it was paid. Do I have a case to file against the E&O company of the attorney?
You can sue, but if you win you will only recover your actual damages. You wrote that the black mark was removed after a few days.

What expenses did you incur due to this that you would not have incurred if they had not done this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">