• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Document retention?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

koguma

What is the name of your state? NY

I filed an I-130 for my wife 5 years ago, in 2000. Around 2002 I asked my dad to pickup the files from the attorney. The attorney informed him that they were all destroyed as we had "dropped the case".

I've been out of the country for the past 4 years, and have just gotten back now and inquired from the lawyer again and received the same information.

According to http://www.nycla.org/library/725.htm
Especially DR-9-102(D), which specifies they must keep files for 7 years. Has there been a breach of ethics? It's possible they have the files and just don't want to give them to me. I need them because they were requested by a US consulate and doing a FOIA is taking too long. Is there any action I can initiate against the attorney to either refund my money or hand over the documents?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">