• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropped Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Degatide

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Went for the first consult on a personal injury case with a well known attorney group in western NC. Saw one of the junior members of the firm and he agreed to take the case. He did find out the Insurance carrier for the building. He wrote them a letter stateing that he was my attorney and to direct all inforation to him and not me. Yesterday I got a letter from the attorney that he consulted with his partners and that they deceided not to handle my case. It is not a huge case. I was looking for Medical and lost time from work and pain etc. We had dicussed an amount of around $20,000 as a possible settlement. Him getting 1/3 as fee. Is it unethical for him to drop my case because it is not big enough? Now I have to start all over looking for a new attorney. Thank you.

JETX

Is it unethical for him to drop my case because it is not big enough?
Did you sign an attorney-client agreement??

An attorney can withdraw representation at this early stage in the proceedings without court approval, based on several reasons. For example, he/she can agree to represent you based solely on your 'version' of the circumstances, then decide to withdraw when they find out the other side of the 'story'. Especially when handling in a contingent fee basis as you have described. They simply don't feel that the case is worth the risk of their time and money.

I suggest you contact your local (county) Bar office and request several low- or no-cost references. Then, interview the attorneys and make your best choice.

Last edited:

Degatide

YES we did sign an agreement. JetX, thank you for your response. You always seem knowlegeable on matters and do not give snoddy remarks. Much appreciated.

JETX

YES we did sign an agreement. JetX, thank you for your response. You always seem knowlegeable on matters and do not give snoddy remarks. Much appreciated.
Damn!!! I don't want to ruin my reputation on the forum.

Now I have to go back and edit my post to include snotty, smart-ass comments!!!

Degatide

Dear JetX, Heaven knows I needed a laugh this morning. Times have been real tough for us lately and it's nice to know a sence of humor will pick up ones spirits. Thank you so much for advice and humor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">