• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Edited court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Natskee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Is it legal for a attorney to edit a court order by adding extra things to it that wasn't written into the court record? Then have it signed by the judge without the opposing council signature?

This is dealing with family law.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Is it legal for a attorney to edit a court order by adding extra things to it that wasn't written into the court record? Then have it signed by the judge without the opposing council signature?

This is dealing with family law.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What exactly were the "extra things"?

Natskee

What was added by the other council was drop off location of the child and drop off time for the child.

Flotus

I had a similar issue with an attorney trying to modify something as simple as the TIME on a court order and that attorney didn't argue the case in the courtroom, his client was pro se, basically left to bail himself out of the dung!

So, the judge ordered a time to retrieve items, he whined to his attorney about the decision and that atty started grandstanding is if HE accomplished something when the decision to release property was mine, otherwise I could have help them in dispute. But, I was fair.

Anyway, the atty tried to modify the time. I called the court clerk and was told DO EXACTLY WHAT THE ORDER/JUDGE TELLS YOU TO DO, NOTHING LESS, NOTHING MORE.

End of story!!!!

Natskee

Ohh I forgot to add, our lawyer did state to the court and opposing council that we would not be able to make it at a certain time at the drop off point and it would be better to do house to house drop off.

Natskee

Basically because of the added order by the opposing council, we are now up on contempt. We are trying to figure out if this was done purposely, because we went and received the transcript to make sure it wasn't in there. And it wasn't and now we are in a bad situation.

ecmst12

You would have needed to object to the change before it was made into an order, or file for modification before you violated it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">