• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excess use of Power

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AliDH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

How do I communicate with an emotional cousin inappropriately using her legal and educational skills to unjustly threaten my family. The effects are causing my parents emotional and mental distress. I still have a level of communication with her established but, is very strained due to her emotional level. She is using her position as an Attorney excessively and if its not, its bordering malfeasance. Please advice.

AliDH

Its a very long story. But to keep it as brief as possible; I don't often get invovled other then to try and calm all parties down. It starts from a barn fire. My father was a ranch manager for several of her father's properties. My Uncle now has dementia and my Aunt now has power of attorney. All my fathers equipment was distroyed. So communication was necessary for resolution. There are several other major factors that play into this. However, I have moved my parents in with me and away from this, while I am seeking a higher degree. yet these issues are still hurting them and we can't seem to get away from it.
I would like to ask her to stop calling my parents with issues and drama, and express to her, her behavior is not very professional. But am at a loss as to do so with out stirring the hornets nest.

AliDH

I see your point. :) I do feel the need to suggest she refrain from further contact with my parents.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I see your point. :) I do feel the need to suggest she refrain from further contact with my parents.
Frankly, that's not your place and she is under no obligation to honor your request. Your parents should be the ones to make that request.

AliDH

I see, but its her place to abuse her legal position and harrass my family. Thats my issue. Surely there is a board that regulates the practices of Attorneys.

AliDH

I think I will review and seek advice from the State Board on some of her actions and see what they have to say. I thank you for your interest and help. :)

tranquility

They won't even listen to you. You were not hurt, you should not be involved and the Bar has better things to do than chase down other's complaints about people who happen to be attorneys. You better watch yourself, from the attitude you're showing, YOU are the one who will be sued. Proving the truth of what you say is going to be hard once you start making unfounded accusations against the professional abilities/ethics of another.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I see, but its her place to abuse her legal position and harrass my family. Thats my issue. Surely there is a board that regulates the practices of Attorneys.
How is she abusing her legal position? Have your parents SUED her parents?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">