• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

excessive attorney fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmiron01

What is the name of your state? CA
My attorney is charging me truly excessive fees. His tactics is to pad and stretch the hours doing unnecessary things...I asked to cap the fees to 30 K I paid but he refused and is threatening to take me to court over unpaid fees(4K). Do I have to pay to him? What can happen is I do not? What can I do?
I appreciate any help.
Natasha

tmiron01

Thnks for the replies, he sent me the form to request the arbitration, but still treathens with a law suit saying that if I go this way my fees will be even higher...Is there a difference between mediation and arbitration?

orionstar

Atty Fees

From Virginia. I am being sued by an attorney for fees that he states that I owe. I am going to court on my own...don't need no stinkin lawyer. My case differs in that I did have a cap but for some reason this yahoo thinks he can intimidate me.
In any case, I would recommend contacting your state bar association and go to the department that handles fee disputes. Lawyers are guided by what they can charge and their fees need to be reasonable. Take a long hard look at your itemized billing from the lawyer and be prepared to talk with the judge about any duplicates, etc. Also, take with you all of the product that you received from the lawyer. DON'T BE INTIMIDATED>>>>>
FYI...most courts go by the American Rule --- attorney's fees aren't part of a court award... there are exceptions....such as...sanctions for filing frivilous lawsuits.

What I did was file a motion to dismiss and requested sanctions and penalties against the attorney for filing a complaint not well grounded in law and for intentional abuse of process......

One final recommenation....look for pro se advocates and pro bono services in your area.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">