• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex's Lawyer harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wetware23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a child support hearing this morning about the county suing my ex-wife for child support. Her lawyer was there to represent her but she was not. After all of the figures were entered and her lawyer went around and around making arguments that had nothing to do with the case, the judge ordered that she would have to pay child support.
Her lawyer waited for me in the lobby to put me down by saying "I wish you'd man up, I really do! You just took food out of your children mouths, your garbage!" I calmly replied by asking him to save it for court (which will take place again next month). He replied by saying, "Oh I will, and I'm going to NAIL YOU!"
Any advice? Or am I in the right position to do anything about this? It's not the first time an incident like this has happened with this guy.

Hot Topic

An attorney is allowed to be a jerk. The phrase, "I'm going to nail you," won't automatically mean in a court of law (if you're wondering if you should sue) that he's physically threatening you.

Assuming you win in the next trial, you'll have the satisfaction of thinking to yourself that once again the attorney wasn't able to deliver on his "promises."

wetware23

So I need to just take his harassing me at every court date that they throw at me, when the judgement doesn't come back in their favor?

wetware23

Well I filed a complaint with both the county DA and with the bar. The DA said they will be warned regardless of the findings and asked if I'd like to press verbal assault charges. The bar was able to tell me the same day i filed that it was not the first complaint for that law firm or that lawyer and they would continue with a full investigation.
Just wanted to let you know what happens when a person stands up for themselves instead of bending over and taking it.

cyjeff

Well I filed a complaint with both the county DA and with the bar. The DA said they will be warned regardless of the findings and asked if I'd like to press verbal assault charges. The bar was able to tell me the same day i filed that it was not the first complaint for that law firm or that lawyer and they would continue with a full investigation.
Just wanted to let you know what happens when a person stands up for themselves instead of bending over and taking it.
Dude....

Really... I am happy you found someone to listen to your story, but most of us would find another hill to die on.

After all... yours wasn't the first complaint... but the lawyer is still practicing, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">