• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this extortion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Koooosh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I paid an attorney $750.00 upfront as this was the verbal agreement for services he was to render. No retainer was signed. He served his purpose and at the end he showed me a bill in excess of $9000.00 and then stated he would accept $1000.00 cash instead. His services were for a real estate closing. There were no major problems only that the closing was delayed for 2 days. He is claiming that he took over $9000.00 of his time in three days in phone calls. I currently have him on tape asking for the $1000.00 in cash. Do I have to pay him? Does he have any legal claims against me? Can he sue me for any amount?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I paid an attorney $750.00 upfront as this was the verbal agreement for services he was to render. No retainer was signed. He served his purpose and at the end he showed me a bill in excess of $9000.00 and then stated he would accept $1000.00 cash instead. His services were for a real estate closing. There were no major problems only that the closing was delayed for 2 days. He is claiming that he took over $9000.00 of his time in three days in phone calls. I currently have him on tape asking for the $1000.00 in cash. Do I have to pay him? Does he have any legal claims against me? Can he sue me for any amount?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: sounds like a deal to me. So when are you going to pay the $1000 cash?

Koooosh

Sorry I worded it incorrectly

He stated. give me a $1000.00 cash or we can pay more if we want to pay by check. But he will not send us a bill when we asked for one.

Hot Topic

And have someone kick your backside for entering into a verbal agreement on a legal matter. Those should always be in writing and the terms of the agreement specific regarding work expected and fees charged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">