• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fee Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbey

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I signed a fee agreement for a chapter 7 BK - that states that it is a true and classic retainer.

The only servies they were going to provide is filing a petition for me.
The agreement is a general type up - not anything like the forms on the State Bar Web Site.

I did not sign this with the attorney themselevs - an employee signed the agreement on behalf of them. I was lead to beleive the Associate I was dealing with was an Attorney, since they had a J,D after their name. I have since found out that they are not. I also found out that a Contract (not on payroll) Attorney would be appearing in court with me not the Attorney on the Agreement. I have never spoken to this Attorney, nor has their been any offer to speak to this Attorney for advice or to answer any questions, only the Associate of this Law Office has been advising me. I was never asked to show loan papers, W-2's, or anything for my filing, this has all been over the phone, other than the intial consultation. This was a pay in advance situation ($2000.00), plus $300.00 in cash. The only services performed as of now are - consultation, TRW report, one email, 3 calls, and I received the Petition for filing, which was completly incorrect. the Associate wanted me to sign off on it and would make any changes necessary and e-file this. I have since stopped payment on the check and dismissed their services.

I have aquired an Actual Attorney now to help with the Chapter 7 - just wondering what ramifications for stopping payment on the check is going to cause. And yes I will ask the Attorney I have hired the same question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">