• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fee arbitration ethics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cooltranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I recently attended a fee arbitration hearing against my former attorney. The attorney withdrew from the case which is pending for trial. During the fee arbitration hearing, she asked me a line of questions. I thought the questions were odd. For example, she questioned if I laughed when I first saw her billing statement. I did not know how she obtained that information. My first impression - I thought she was following me, therefore; I asked her how did she know my reactions when I opened my mail. She responded by saying she got the information from my ex-boyfriend (This is someone who I have an Order of Protection against). Apparently, he found out about the fee arbitration hearing, contacted my former attorney, and they talked about my case and the fee arbitration. My ex-boyfriend has nothing to do with my pending case and this attorney. My question: Is it legal for my former attorney to speak with someone who is not a party to my case and fee arbitration? Did she violate a law? Who do I report this to?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I recently attended a fee arbitration hearing against my former attorney. The attorney withdrew from the case which is pending for trial. During the fee arbitration hearing, she asked me a line of questions. I thought the questions were odd. For example, she questioned if I laughed when I first saw her billing statement. I did not know how she obtained that information. My first impression - I thought she was following me, therefore; I asked her how did she know my reactions when I opened my mail. She responded by saying she got the information from my ex-boyfriend (This is someone who I have an Order of Protection against). Apparently, he found out about the fee arbitration hearing, contacted my former attorney, and they talked about my case and the fee arbitration. My ex-boyfriend has nothing to do with my pending case and this attorney. My question: Is it legal for my former attorney to speak with someone who is not a party to my case and fee arbitration? Did she violate a law? Who do I report this to?
Attorneys are allowed to talk to people who are not parties to a case. I do not see that any law was violated by the attorney from what you have posted here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">