• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fees Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckyiu516

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am looking to dispute fees that my previous attorney had charged me in the matter of a divorce case. One of the question in the form of the dispute asked, "This arbitration will result in a non-binding award unless both sides agree that it will be binding." What does this mean?

Thanks in advance

ckyiu516

Which one do I choose?

What do I choose if I would like the opportunity to sue if the outcome is not favorable to me? Non-Binding or Binding?

Thanks

latigo

"NON-BINDING” is the antithesis/opposite of the English adjective “BINDING”; from the English noun "BOUND". Verb form: " BIND".

In this connotation or usage “BINDING” means to be or having become irrevocably obligated; being legally committed to perform as agreed; being duty bound; mandatory, required; a contractual undertaking; etc.

Buy an English dictionary for heaven’s sake!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What do I choose if I would like the opportunity to sue if the outcome is not favorable to me? Non-Binding or Binding?

Thanks
Non-binding means neither of you have to follow the ruling. That means that you can sue after arbitration if you so desire.

Binding arbitration means that, whatever is determined through arbitration is final (well, you'd need to have to confirmed through the courts to act on it, but that is a procedural step, not an adversarial one)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">