• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing An Appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deb2512

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

How do I file an extension of time for filing an appeal in a federal civil case? The case was dismissed on some information that was left out by my lawyer and now I don't have money to pay the lawyer to file the appeal. I understand that there is a way to file some kind of extension and I need to find out how to do this myself so I can have some time to find more funding for my suit.

latigo

(The following is provided strictly for informational purposes and not to be construed as legal advice.)

The periods of time within which to file an appeal from and order of judgement of a federal district court and the filing of a motion for extension of time vary depending on several factors - civil or criminal, the nature of the order, whether the moving party is incarcerated and whether the United States is a party – none of which you have provided.

[You will find the applicable time periods set out in the Federal Appellate Rules of Practice beginning with Part II Rule 3.]

Generally speaking these time periods are jurisdictional, which means that if they are not timely met, the judgment or order becomes res adjudicata (the thing is final) and cannot be collaterally attacked.

For your purposes Rule 4(a)(5)(A), does permit the district court to extend the time to file a notice of appeal upon a showing of ”EXCUSABLE NEGLECT”, but only if the motion for the extension is made within a specified number of days from the expiration of the of the appeal period. And again those periods vary as earlier noted.

There is no precise definitions of the term “EXCUSABLE NEGLECT” as it appears in many of the Federal Rules. Defining what it means in a particular case is said to be an “equitable determination” in which “all relevant factors” are to be taken into account, including:

“1. The danger of prejudice to the movant,
2. The length of the delay and its potential impact on judicial
proceedings,
3. The reason for the delay, including whether it was within
the reasonable control of the movant, and
4. Whether the movant acted in good faith”

(See: Pioneer Inv. Service. Co. v. Brunswick Associates, Inc. United States Supreme Court, 507 U.S. 380 (1993).

However, because the mere preparation and filing of the notice of appeal is not a complicated nor expensive process, I am skeptical that your excuse will be viewed favorably. But you have not much to lose by trying.

deb2512

Case is civil, no one is incarcerated, suit alleges RICO and Racketeering, lawyer is doing case part flat fee/part contingency, according to dismissal certain points were not correctly tied together, no award amount was mentioned, incorrect addresses for defendants...etc.
Now our lawyer wants more money to proceed with the appeal. We have collectively paid him about half of the flat fee and now have no funds to continue. He says filing the appeal will take lots of work and money. It seems to us that his negligence was the reason for the dismissal but he holds all the cards so to speak.

What should it cost to file an appeal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">