• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

And he is expected to pay for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JKBee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My son went into his lawyer today to sign his statement and to pick up affidavits for other people to sign in regard to his divorce and child custody.
He found that all the paperwork was badly done with alot of typos and even restated so that the entire meaning of a paragraph was changed. Not for his best interests, either.

The really frustrating thing was when he brought back the signed, notarized affidavits, he found out the lawyer had the wrong case number on the paperwork, as well as having him as the respondent, not the petitioner.

All the typos are totally inexcusable because I e-mailed each and every affidavit to him personally. Instead of just taking the documents from the e-mail and posting them onto the legal forms, evidently his secretary took my work and totally retyped all of it. In all my years as a columnist, I have learned to be extremely careful about typos as well as content. I reread all, spell checked everything, and turned in very professional quality work. This lawyer has stated before that he has never seen such professional work turned in to him. Yet his secretary totally messed it up by restating a few things and using the rest verbatim. Any changes that were made were the ones that changed the content of the statements.

As of tomorrow, my son is going to find himself another attorney. Is this work that he should have to pay this attorney for, when everything has had to be done two to three times to get it back to the way it was when I e-mailed it? And even then the spelling is full of typos on the second and third tries.

He and I are totally frustrated. I spent hours doing these affidavits, after interviewing everyone, getting their statements down, e-mailing them to the person for their final okay, and then getting their consent,. After which I e-mailed them to the attorney. To top it off, I was told it had to be in on one date and got a very nasty phone call from the lawyer telling me he had to have them Immediately!, which was over a week before I was told by his secretary to have them in to him So I sent them, since I had already had all of them done except my own. I did my affidavit and sent them all off to the lawyer that night.

Outside of taking this to the bar association for mediation, should my son just tell this lawyer to take a flying leap, get another lawyer, and tell this current lawyer to take his bill and shove it?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

My son went into his lawyer today to sign his statement and to pick up affidavits for other people to sign in regard to his divorce and child custody.
He found that all the paperwork was badly done with alot of typos and even restated so that the entire meaning of a paragraph was changed. Not for his best interests, either.

The really frustrating thing was when he brought back the signed, notarized affidavits, he found out the lawyer had the wrong case number on the paperwork, as well as having him as the respondent, not the petitioner.

All the typos are totally inexcusable because I e-mailed each and every affidavit to him personally. Instead of just taking the documents from the e-mail and posting them onto the legal forms, evidently his secretary took my work and totally retyped all of it. In all my years as a columnist, I have learned to be extremely careful about typos as well as content. I reread all, spell checked everything, and turned in very professional quality work. This lawyer has stated before that he has never seen such professional work turned in to him. Yet his secretary totally messed it up by restating a few things and using the rest verbatim. Any changes that were made were the ones that changed the content of the statements.

As of tomorrow, my son is going to find himself another attorney. Is this work that he should have to pay this attorney for, when everything has had to be done two to three times to get it back to the way it was when I e-mailed it? And even then the spelling is full of typos on the second and third tries.

He and I are totally frustrated. I spent hours doing these affidavits, after interviewing everyone, getting their statements down, e-mailing them to the person for their final okay, and then getting their consent,. After which I e-mailed them to the attorney. To top it off, I was told it had to be in on one date and got a very nasty phone call from the lawyer telling me he had to have them Immediately!, which was over a week before I was told by his secretary to have them in to him So I sent them, since I had already had all of them done except my own. I did my affidavit and sent them all off to the lawyer that night.

Outside of taking this to the bar association for mediation, should my son just tell this lawyer to take a flying leap, get another lawyer, and tell this current lawyer to take his bill and shove it?
So basically you are admitting to practicing law without a license?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Doesn't JKBee have a lot of different threads on this subject-matter?

I don't feel like hunting them down. Too bad she feels the need to start a new thread every time a new concept floats in to her head.

Antigone*

I don't feel like hunting them down. Too bad she feels the need to start a new thread every time a new concept floats in to her head.
She's also been asked more than once to please keep them all togehter. On more than one level this lady just get how things happen around here.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Yep several different threads. I don't know if JK is male or female. I was thinking male but I could be wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">