• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hearing re-schedule causing problems.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

necesitoconsejo

Today I was supposed to have a court hearing in Greenville, SC. I live in NJ. The hearing was originally scheduled for 15 min and I asked for more time with the judge in order to hopefully avoid having to come back to SC for another hearing. My lawyer asked for a longer hearing time but we did not get an answer from the judge, so I made the trip. I took time off work, I paid the expenses to travel only to find today, just a couple of hours before the hearing, that the judge re-scheduled it to allow more time! Why wasn't I told that before I made the trip?
I think this is NOT fair.
Considering that I live in NJ and that going to court means getting time off work, finding a place to stay, etc, and the fact that I just cannot go back to NJ and come back to SC that easily, I feel that I was done wrong.
Can someone please tell me if this is right and if I could I do something? I just don't have the money to come back to SC for the new hearing date. This is very unfair and I feel there must be something I can do.
Please please advise.

sandyclaus

Today I was supposed to have a court hearing in Greenville, SC. I live in NJ. The hearing was originally scheduled for 15 min and I asked for more time with the judge in order to hopefully avoid having to come back to SC for another hearing. My lawyer asked for a longer hearing time but we did not get an answer from the judge, so I made the trip. I took time off work, I paid the expenses to travel only to find today, just a couple of hours before the hearing, that the judge re-scheduled it to allow more time! Why wasn't I told that before I made the trip?
I think this is NOT fair.
Considering that I live in NJ and that going to court means getting time off work, finding a place to stay, etc, and the fact that I just cannot go back to NJ and come back to SC that easily, I feel that I was done wrong.
Can someone please tell me if this is right and if I could I do something? I just don't have the money to come back to SC for the new hearing date. This is very unfair and I feel there must be something I can do.
Please please advise.
So, you wanted more time, and you got it. Your lawyer should have been more on top of the situation to be aware of the re-schedule. Had the lawyer done that, or at least made the request earlier, you might not have had to travel that day and waste your time.

It's your choice whether or not to travel for the re-scheduled court date, but if the matter is important to you, you'll make the time for it.

Life isn't fair, but sometimes you just have to roll with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">