• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Me Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GMC555

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? RHODE ISLAND

Please help me! I have been in the process of a divorce since last year. My lawyer promised me numerous things at our first consultation; he advised me I was entitled to 1/2 of the property and along with 2 yrs back child support. 10 months later at my hearing I was not entitled to ANY back child support and 1/2 of what my property was worth 3 yrs ago as I did not contribute to the mortgage payments when my x and i split up. I have already paid my lawyer 7K. Back in January of this year I questioned why i have not received the garnished chid support payments as I went for the divorce in Oct. The papers were never filed. I asked my lawyer NOT do file a motion against my X as I will work it out...he did so anyway and NOW since then my bill is up another 3K...My lawyer will and still not has filed the wage garnishment papers and will not do so until I pay him in full! He has also just advised me that I am still legally married as he never went to court for the final judgement back in January because of that pending motion he filed. As of January, I was ASSUMING i was legally divorced and he was holding my documents until i paid him in full...he did not advise me until now! I am now living with my boyfriend and now my lawyer claims that they can file adultry charges against me?! Needless to say just a week ago I found that my lawyer made a huge mistake and cost me a settlement of 25K. I was also told I cannot release him from my case as it has to go in front of a court. He has me strapped here; he will not accept any payments, just in full and I cannot get child support garnished or get legally divorced until he has all my money...is there anything i can do? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">