• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do you let a lawyer go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia

i am basically looking for a new lawyer and am meeting with one on Monday afternoon, so by Monday night and/or Tuesday i should know which of the 2 i want to hire. but i don't want my current lawyer to continue to bill me, i am going tomorrow to see what my account is, i don't think he has even used my whole retainer, so of course i want the rest back. but i can't acctually go without a lawyer till i hire a new one right? this if for a divorce case. should i tell him not to charge my account any further until i give permission or what?

S

seniorjudge

You will find it difficult to get another lawyer to pick up in the middle of a divorce case. If you do find one, he will probably want a large retainer.

Q: but i can't acctually go without a lawyer till i hire a new one right?

A: In a civil case, yes, you can go without a lawyer till you get a new one. However, if the case is already in progress, you may find the judge difficult to deal with since this looks like a stalling tactic.

Q: should i tell him not to charge my account any further until i give permission or what?

A: What does your contract with your current lawyer say about this situation?

well, i am not trying to stall anything but, i am not happy with my current lawyer and he is not representing me the way he said and going "soft" with the opposition. so i am not happy. some local lawyers suggested that i find another lawyer and i had already a consultation with one lawyer and she didn't think it odd to look for another.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">