• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to formally remove attorney of record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelptx1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I fired my attorney (child visitation modification) over 3 months ago because he was no help at all. Since then, I've been trying to get him to submit the motion to withdraw as attorney of record, but he has not responded to any of my emails/phone calls. The problem is that I need to schedule a hearing for my child visitation modification case but according to the court, I have an attorney of record and only the attorney can schedule those hearings. My case has been on hold for months now and will continue until I can remove him as attorney of record. Is there a form I can submit to court to have my former attorney of record removed without my attorney's consent/signature? What are my options here?

nrknlknek

I suspect you've omitted one pertinent fact which is that you may still owe him/her money??? Once you pay what you owe, you can dismiss the attorney who is bound by that decision.

needhelptx1

In response to owing our attorney money.....our former attorney send us a bill with a balance of $5k. We asked to meet with him to review bill because we want to get some of our retainer back. We want our money back as he did nothing. He has not responded to any requests to discuss the bill nor asked us to pay the outstanding balance.

We are doing this pro-se now as the only money we had available was all given to our former attorney as retainer.

Last edited:

nrknlknek

Filing a pro se appearance is subject to (a) the courts acceptance and (b) attorney of record's consent to removal. I suspect neither will happen unless you come to some agreement with him/her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">