• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to request a refund from a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

william71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I sought legal representation in Broward County and hired a lawyer who was initially hired to defend in on a early termination of probation case of mine. Since the initial hire date of Oct. 2009 I never once received any documentation regarding any motions filed or status regarding my case. I did not even so much as get a welcome letter in the mail from his law office.

As time progressed and never heard a single word from my lawyer I started to worry. So I attempted to call his office to try and get status on my case only to leave a message with his secretary in which she would state "I'll leave the message and he'll call you back". Never once did he call me back; which started to aggrevate me.

Finally, with a month & a half left of my probation and still no one word from my lawyer. I was a bit confused and wasn't sure how to approach the issue. Then just recently a situation arose where my probation officer placed a violation for me due to restitution fees and all of the sudden I had to appear in court for it. I contacted my lawyer and left a message with his secretary explaining in detail what had happened. Thinking he would show up in court to defend me I waited and waited the day of hearing for him to show up to avail. HE NEVER SHOWED UP, and I had to represent myself. Fortunately, things turned out well and my case has ended. Now, feeling as though my lawyer did absolutely nothing to lift a finger to help me my only thought was to file some kind of complaint against him to possible receive my money back.

Any advice or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I sought legal representation in Broward County and hired a lawyer who was initially hired to defend in on a early termination of probation case of mine. Since the initial hire date of Oct. 2009 I never once received any documentation regarding any motions filed or status regarding my case. I did not even so much as get a welcome letter in the mail from his law office.

As time progressed and never heard a single word from my lawyer I started to worry. So I attempted to call his office to try and get status on my case only to leave a message with his secretary in which she would state "I'll leave the message and he'll call you back". Never once did he call me back; which started to aggrevate me.

Finally, with a month & a half left of my probation and still no one word from my lawyer. I was a bit confused and wasn't sure how to approach the issue. Then just recently a situation arose where my probation officer placed a violation for me due to restitution fees and all of the sudden I had to appear in court for it. I contacted my lawyer and left a message with his secretary explaining in detail what had happened. Thinking he would show up in court to defend me I waited and waited the day of hearing for him to show up to avail. HE NEVER SHOWED UP, and I had to represent myself. Fortunately, things turned out well and my case has ended. Now, feeling as though my lawyer did absolutely nothing to lift a finger to help me my only thought was to file some kind of complaint against him to possible receive my money back.

Any advice or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: send a certified rrr letter to the attorney stating the facts and requesting a reasonable refund.

HomeGuru

I am still in a struggle with this question?

paid up front...lawyer dies,,,widow won't refund $

she wants to charge me per hour based on HER/NON lawyer accounting of TIME put into case....there are no hours logged.. or provable work.

She says the dead lawyer needs to be paid..that leaves me broke & nothing in return.

I had a contract that said I would get a (blank in return for x dollars) I did not because he died..

I don't think I should have to pay ..because there is no value in time with no result????
**A: I agree with you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am still in a struggle with this question?

paid up front...lawyer dies,,,widow won't refund $

she wants to charge me per hour based on HER/NON lawyer accounting of TIME put into case....there are no hours logged.. or provable work.

She says the dead lawyer needs to be paid..that leaves me broke & nothing in return.

I had a contract that said I would get a (blank in return for x dollars) I did not because he died..

I don't think I should have to pay ..because there is no value in time with no result????
I hate encouraging the hijackers.
But, you should file a suit against his estate. His malpractice insurance company will then get involved.

benniedos

hi

Simple answer: It sounds like he never accepted your agreement/to defend you to me. If you paid him money, and no services were rendered, then you have every right to request a refund. NOT showing up is not providing you a service. File a consumer complaint on him (you can find one online that will clearly and legally make him pay you back and you can get the complaint in Email or Letter form). Good luck.

Real Estate Law Temecula

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">