• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I asked the other side if they still represent my ex. Do they have to respond?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jumilla3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I asked the opposing counsel to tell me if they still represented my ex by a certain date. Do they have to respond?

Also, I said if they don't respond, then I would go to the child support agency for help.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I asked the opposing counsel to tell me if they still represented my ex by a certain date. Do they have to respond?

Also, I said if they don't respond, then I would go to the child support agency for help.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying when you say "by a certain date."

You are free to go to the child support agency.

More information is needed.

jumilla3

I am not sure I understand what you are saying when you say "by a certain date."

You are free to go to the child support agency.

More information is needed.
He paid almost all of the child support due, but then he got angry and stopped paying. He still owes over $5,000. He was represented by a law firm then, but I wrote that firm saying I wanted to know (by September 20, 2016) if they still represented him. Does the firm have to answer me? Thanks.

quincy

He paid almost all of the child support due, but then he got angry and stopped paying. He still owes over $5,000. He was represented by a law firm then, but I wrote that firm saying I wanted to know (by September 20, 2016) if they still represented him. Does the firm have to answer me? Thanks.
If you are not a client of the attorney and you are not involved in a current legal action with a client of the attorney, the attorney/his firm has no obligation to respond to questions asked by you.

Here is a link to the Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys in California:

http://rules.calbar.ca.gov/Rules/RulesofProfessionalConduct/currentrules.aspx

Why don't you ask the non-paying ex if he still has an attorney?

Otherwise, you can go to the child support agency. Are support payments being made through a garnishment of wages? If not, they should be.

I suggest you contact an attorney of your own to assist you in getting the child support that has been ordered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">