• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AdoptedConfusio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Michigan, the problem is in Indiana and here is my story. Please follow along carefully, because my life thus far is confusing.

When I was 8 years old, my mother gave custody of me to my grandparents who then adopted me. So my four aunts are legally my sisters. November 1980 a month after the adoption was finalized, my grandfather passed away of stomach cancer. My grandmother raised me and I lived with her until I had my son when I was 25. She died last year of complications from a stroke she suffered in April of last year. Right away, my second oldest aunt started to steal everything from the house she could get her hands on, including papers that my grandmother gave me instructions on what to do with them. My mother had been living with my grandmother and myself and my aunt put her out before my grandmother was even in the ern. She found a life insurance policy and started to put on an act that was not so good. She knew who the beneficiary was so she called and acted as if she didn't know saying that her husband took out a loan from his 401K account to pay for the funeral. My grandmother told me her funeral was paid for lock stock and barrel. So months later, she finally said that I was the beneficiary and when the insurance company wasn't moving as fast as SHE wanted, she got two her daughters to threaten me. They called my home, emailed threats and even had me afraid to visit my mother. Then when I finally contacted the insurance company, they strung me along saying that they needed more proof of who I was. I sent my adoption papers, state id, birth certificate and marriage license into them. Still, no check. Then I got a check for $1000. The amount of the entire policy was $7, 000. Then my aunt made a claim and told them that what she had stolen from my grandmother house only had "daughter" on it and since she was also a daughter she could have meant any of us.
O.k. my questions are these. . .

1. If I were a minor and the beneficiary of this policy, would this still be in question?

2. From what I told the claims department, why won't they listen to everything I've told them about her stealing papers from the house?

3. The laywer I have is just as bad as they are. He told me that he would get this check and it would take no longer than 2 weeks. It's 7 months later and he had he nerve to send me a bill for $1100 dollars. He didn't say "might" he said "he would get it".

4. Why isn't the insurance company looking at my aunt for fraud. She tried to forge my name on the forms that they sent her to claim the check before she told me I was the beneficiary. Shouldn't they charge her with some kind of fraud based on forgery and also with holding the papers with my name on them from me?

I don't know what to do about her or the lawyer.:confused: What kind of lawyer do I need now, and what do I do about the lawyer I have? Please help me, thank you.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am in Michigan, the problem is in Indiana and here is my story. Please follow along carefully, because my life thus far is confusing.

When I was 8 years old, my mother gave custody of me to my grandparents who then adopted me. So my four aunts are legally my sisters. November 1980 a month after the adoption was finalized, my grandfather passed away of stomach cancer. My grandmother raised me and I lived with her until I had my son when I was 25. She died last year of complications from a stroke she suffered in April of last year. Right away, my second oldest aunt started to steal everything from the house she could get her hands on, including papers that my grandmother gave me instructions on what to do with them. My mother had been living with my grandmother and myself and my aunt put her out before my grandmother was even in the ern. She found a life insurance policy and started to put on an act that was not so good. She knew who the beneficiary was so she called and acted as if she didn't know saying that her husband took out a loan from his 401K account to pay for the funeral. My grandmother told me her funeral was paid for lock stock and barrel. So months later, she finally said that I was the beneficiary and when the insurance company wasn't moving as fast as SHE wanted, she got two her daughters to threaten me. They called my home, emailed threats and even had me afraid to visit my mother. Then when I finally contacted the insurance company, they strung me along saying that they needed more proof of who I was. I sent my adoption papers, state id, birth certificate and marriage license into them. Still, no check. Then I got a check for $1000. The amount of the entire policy was $7, 000. Then my aunt made a claim and told them that what she had stolen from my grandmother house only had "daughter" on it and since she was also a daughter she could have meant any of us.
O.k. my questions are these. . .

1. If I were a minor and the beneficiary of this policy, would this still be in question?

2. From what I told the claims department, why won't they listen to everything I've told them about her stealing papers from the house?

3. The laywer I have is just as bad as they are. He told me that he would get this check and it would take no longer than 2 weeks. It's 7 months later and he had he nerve to send me a bill for $1100 dollars. He didn't say "might" he said "he would get it".

4. Why isn't the insurance company looking at my aunt for fraud. She tried to forge my name on the forms that they sent her to claim the check before she told me I was the beneficiary. Shouldn't they charge her with some kind of fraud based on forgery and also with holding the papers with my name on them from me?

I don't know what to do about her or the lawyer.:confused: What kind of lawyer do I need now, and what do I do about the lawyer I have? Please help me, thank you.
Have criminal charges been filed for the theft?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">