• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my attorneys fees back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanding112

New York City.

If an attorney kept my settlement for 4 years without contacting me, and when I've been contacting them for 4 years and being told vague answers. Can I sue to get my attorneys fees back?

What exactly is the Lawyers Fund?

I don't think they deserve 1/3 of my settlement. They at least owe me the interest for the past 4 years. If I had used that money to buy a co-op in Queens, I would have already tripled my money.

Please advise!

jcnoernberg

Did he take 4 years to settle? Or did he settle, then wait 4 years to pay you?

I has a personal injury case for a car crash that took 3 years to close. All along I was anxious and called a few times getting no info. Finally I got a check. The lawyer got his third which was tough to part with.... but I would have gotten nothing if i would have went-it-alone

Dandy Don

What type of lawsuit was this that you got the settlement money from and how much in attorney fees did you pay?

You are not likely to get the attorney fees back but you can file an ethics complaint with the New York State Bar Association which might result is his disbarment or at least the complaint will be on file so that other future clients can be warned in advance about his behavior.

The lawyer's fund (more information at www.nylawfund.org) is a fund set aside to help victims who have been financially abused by their attorneys to recover their monies. You have exceeded the 2 year limit that is required, but I suggest you visit the website just to see what they have to say about cases similar to yours.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">