• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I fire my attorney, will I get the case records?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jinxedbylaw

What is the name of your state (MN)?

I'm contemplating firing my attorney due to incompetency, and would still owe them money for a case that is still in progress, however, does the attorney have a legal obligation to give me copies of her court files since the case is still pending so that I can proceed and represent myself?

Thank you,
Mike

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (MN)?

I'm contemplating firing my attorney due to incompetency, and would still owe them money for a case that is still in progress, however, does the attorney have a legal obligation to give me copies of her court files since the case is still pending so that I can proceed and represent myself?

Thank you,
Mike
Yes. She must give you what you've paid for and/or what she has filed with the court.

See MN Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 1.16(e)
http://lprb.mncourts.gov/rules/Documents/MN Rules of Professional Conduct.pdf
(e) Papers and property to which the client is entitled include the following, whether stored electronically or otherwise:
(1) in all representations, the papers and property delivered to the lawyer by or on behalf of the client and the papers and property for which the client has paid the lawyer’s fees and reimbursed the lawyer’s costs;
(2) in pending claims or litigation representations:
(i) all pleadings, motions, discovery, memoranda, correspondence and other litigation materials which have been drafted and served or filed, regardless of whether the client has paid the lawyer for drafting and serving the document(s), but shall not include pleadings, discovery, motion papers, memoranda and correspondence which have been drafted, but not served or filed, if the client has not paid the lawyer’s fee for drafting or creating the documents; and
(ii) all items for which the lawyer has agreed to advance costs and expenses regardless of whether the client has reimbursed the lawyer for the costs and expenses, including depositions, expert opinions and statements, business records, witness statements, and other materials that may have evidentiary value;
(3) in nonlitigation or transactional representations, client files, papers, and property shall not include drafted but unexecuted estate plans, title opinions, articles of incorporation, contracts, partnership agreements, or any other unexecuted document which does not otherwise have legal effect, where the client has not paid the lawyer’s fee for drafting the document(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">