• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'll just start with his fee - but please advise me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emcat

What is the name of your state?NY :confused:

When I signed the contract to sell the house, (which was being sold because of divorce - so he knew there was another owner), he also gave me a document which listed the seller's (that's me) costs. His fee was noted as $950 - $1200 (if no problems), which was further explained as $175 per hour for approx. 5-7 hours. He told me that it would probably be $950 because he was giving me a $300 courtesy discount due to the fact that I was a referral from the brokerage firm that he has a business relationship with, and the real estate broker who handled the sale is my brother.

Please bear with me - I'll try to keep this short - but there's alot of different factors which I won't go into too much detail about in this forum - this is just about his fee.

At the time of closing, there was an outstanding water bill of around $1300 (which I don't agree with - the meter needs to be replaced) on the house, which he told me I could take care of at closing.

So at closing, there was $2000 of my proceeds put into escrow for the bill, plus another $55 credited to the buyer for the fee he would have to pay in order to get a special meter reading. The buyer and I and the lawyers signed an agreement that the buyer would order the reading within 5 days, and forward the results to my lawyer, who would then pay the bill from the escrow account. I would then apply for reimbursement of the money I overpaid. The buyer never did this - but more on that later.

The lawyer fee turned out to be $1300 - and that's including the $300 discount - so it was $1600! It also had a note that said there would be a $150 per hour fee if there was any post closing issues. He knew going into the closing that there would be post closing work - because of the escrow account. There was no specific breakdown of his time - it just said it was more than 10 hrs., and included a general paragraph that said among other things the time was spent in correspondece with all parties concerning the sked of the closing. I wonder who he spoke to? It wasn't me. The buyer was MIA most of the time, which I found out from my brother who made most of the phone calls. The bill also include a $100 UPS fee for 5 documents. What 5 documents - and they cost $20 each? My brother personally brought the contract to my ex to sign to make sure nothing went wrong, so that's not it.

During the sale process - I very rarely spoke to my lawyer and when I did he never knew anything. The papers I signed with the contract said it was sked to close around 30 days from date loan, and then in parentheses it said (30-60) which was giving the buyer 2 months.

At the end of the 2nd month, my lawyer assured me that we would close "soon". So that's when I found an apartment - and then had to carry rent on an empty apartment plus mortgage for 2 months because it took 4 months to close.

Even all that aside - because I paid the $1300 and didn't make a fuss because of the biz tie with my bro - (who had always referred clients to this firm - but was never really involved much after that until I was the client. He was not happy with the service I got and won't refer again)

Here we are 4 months afer closing - and according to the documents provided by my lawyer - if the terms regarding the escrow acct. are not complied with - the funds will be released afer 60 days. That's 2 months - and it's 4 again. The bill is not paid - and it keeps going up. I've been able to get the account put in the buyer's name - and both my brother and I have attempted to contact him - but he never calls back.

Anyway - sorry this is so long - but my bottom line is - do I have to pay my lawyer $150 per hour for the post closing stuff? That was not indicated on the papers I signed - just on the breakdown of his bill.

He still has my $ by the way, and there's been several phone calls re this - buyer is not even replying to his lawyer sometimes.

Thanks if you took the time to read this - any thoughts would be appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">