• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal or unethical for an attorney to do ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

offers05

I am in Hawaii.* I know someone involved in a few law suits with their former employer.* The issues include injury on the job, harassment/discrimination, & wrongful termination.

They already won the first part.* However, in order to get the $ agreed upon in the judgment or settlement, they need to pay the attorney first.

They do not have enough money to pay & the attorney says he is prohibited from deducting it from the awarded funds.

Is that true?* Is it unethical or illegal for an attorney to take their fee from the money that has been awarded?* Does the answer change if the attorney is a mediator or if the person receiving the settlement is their client?* Thanks.

Silverplum

I am in Hawaii.* I know someone involved in a few law suits with their former employer.* The issues include injury on the job, harassment/discrimination, & wrongful termination.

They already won the first part.* However, in order to get the $ agreed upon in the judgment or settlement, they need to pay the attorney first.

They do not have enough money to pay & the attorney says he is prohibited from deducting it from the awarded funds.

Is that true?* Is it unethical or illegal for an attorney to take their fee from the money that has been awarded?* Does the answer change if the attorney is a mediator or if the person receiving the settlement is their client?* Thanks.
The person you know has to handle his/her own legal business. S/he can start here: http://hsba.org/HSBA/FOR_THE_PUBLIC/Legal_Assistance/HSBA/For_the_Public_/Legal Assistance.aspx

quincy

I know that. I am not trying to handle their business. I just need to know if this is really true.
A lot depends on the attorney/client contract.

I suggest you have your friend read the contract (and the link provided by Silverplum).

Or your friend can simply ask his attorney to explain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">