• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improperly handled Unlawful Detainer/Eviction case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dramacydle

I need help with a dispute I currently have with my mother's attorney. My mother hired this attorney to serve an eviction notice to her tenants in Los Angeles, CA. When they didn't pay within 3 days, we had an attorney at the Dennis P. Block firm file an unlawful detainer for an eviction. During discovery, the attorney's office requested all rent receipts dating back to when the tenants first moved in. It was difficult to find because they were first moved in by my father who has since passed away. However, during the time my father was still managing the property, he had not raised rents between 1994 and 2002.

Prior to going to court, my attorney was unresponsive and leaving us with little confidence, so I called and asked for a status update, and I asked if there was anything we should be concerned about, specifically regarding rent increases since it was a rent controlled property. I told him that we were not comfortable proceeding to trial unless our case was bulletproof. The attorney preparing the file said his only original concern was that the rent increases were too high but after reviewing all of the numbers, they all looked ok to him and that there wasn't anything we would have to worry about--he said all of the rent increases were legal.

When we appeared in court several weeks later, they still maintained that we didn't have anything to worry about and that the increases were legal. But then our attorneys spoke with the defendant's attorneys and it turns out that a rent increase made by my father in 2002 was too high (it was raised 5% rather than the allowed 3%), which I'll presume he did because he thought all of those years of not raising rent made it justified. After the defendant's attorneys brought this up, our attorneys came back to us and said, "Well, we thought your rents were legal but in fact they're not. We do not recommend you proceed to trial because you will lose based on his technicality." We asked why we were just being told this now when they've had the information to make that determination since discovery--nearly a month earlier. She first claimed that they didn't have that information, but I pointed out to their case information that they did. She said she would look into it and call us back at the end of the business day and that's when they began to ignore all of our phone calls and emails.

After weeks of trying to reach them and not having any responses to our messages, my brother received a call from their office and they offered to refund $1,000 of the nearly $7,000 in attorney and court fees we were charged post-discovery. I argue that we should not have been charged any of those fees because we would have dropped the case had we known we had no chance to win. They tried to argue that it was just a lot of information and that some must have slipped through the cracks.

Is that a legitimate excuse for giving me information that directly conflicts with what they told me--that we had legal authority to evict them when in actuality we did not? And do I have a right to contest payment to them through my credit card company or would I be forced to get it back through small claims or arbitration?

justalayman

I need help with a dispute I currently have with my mother's attorney.

Is that a legitimate excuse for giving me information that directly conflicts with what they told me--
you have no dog in this fight. It is between your mother and her attorney. They had no obligation to tell you anything. They had no obligation to act on your requests or demands.

And do I have a right to contest payment to them through my credit card company or would I be forced to get it back through small claims or arbitration?
I believe you will be in for a surprise should you take either action.

Dramacydle

you have no dog in this fight. It is between your mother and her attorney. They had no obligation to tell you anything. They had no obligation to act on your requests or demands.

I believe you will be in for a surprise should you take either action.
I should clarify that my mother was represented as the landlord after my father passed away but I had requested that their office deal with me as one of the property managers. I am listed as one of the clients in the attorney retainer contract and all payments were made by me. Based on these details, do you still believe they do not have any obligation to act on my requests? The bottom line is that my mother and I provided those documents through discovery and they gave an incorrect recommendation based on black and white evidence. Does the attorney have an obligation to ensure there is a case for the client if he recommends the client proceeds to trial?

justalayman

putting aside the fact it requires a person be a licensed real estate agent to be a property manager and that a lawyers obligation is to the person they represent regardless of whom pays the bill, it would appear, based only on what you have stated, the lawyers error is behind the situation.

I would suggest you speak to the lawyer rather than taking any other actions. Then, if you cannot resolve the issue, I would suggest contacting he California bar to inquire as to whether they have a billing dispute resolution assistance program. Then, if you have no resolution, I only then would I resort to legal action through the courts.

I would not file a dispute with your credit card company. This is not based on a fraudulent billing. In fact, the billing is actually accurate. It's just that you believe you deserve a reduction in the fees charged due to the situation
. Reversing the charges could easily result in you being sued.

W

Willlyjo

putting aside the fact it requires a person be a licensed real estate agent to be a property manager and that a lawyers obligation is to the person they represent regardless of whom pays the bill, it would appear, based only on what you have stated, the lawyers error is behind the situation.

I would suggest you speak to the lawyer rather than taking any other actions. Then, if you cannot resolve the issue, I would suggest contacting he California bar to inquire as to whether they have a billing dispute resolution assistance program. Then, if you have no resolution, I only then would I resort to legal action through the courts.

I would not file a dispute with your credit card company. This is not based on a fraudulent billing. In fact, the billing is actually accurate. It's just that you believe you deserve a reduction in the fees charged due to the situation
Can you cite any statute in California that mandates you must have a real estate license to manage a rental property? I'm having trouble locating it in my research. ;)

quincy

Can you cite any statute in California that mandates you must have a real estate license to manage a rental property? I'm having trouble locating it in my research. ;)
Oh, come on, Willly. You could not have even tried to locate this information on your own, as a simple google is all that is necessary (if you don't know anything about real estate and must resort to googling for this information in the first place).

Check out California's Business and Professions Code, Sections 10130-10149.

sandyclaus

Just goes to show (and prove) just how fast and loose you are with your responses, Willy. This one was so easy, you didn't even BOTHER to try looking it up before you spoke out of school.

10130. BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE
SECTION 10130-10149

10130. It is unlawful for any person to engage in the business, act
in the capacity of, advertise or assume to act as a real estate
broker or a real estate salesman within this state without first
obtaining a real estate license from the department

The commissioner may prefer a complaint for violation of this
section before any court of competent jurisdiction, and the
commissioner and his counsel, deputies or assistants may assist in
presenting the law or facts at the trial.
It is the duty of the district attorney of each county in this
state to prosecute all violations of this section in their respective
counties in which the violations occur.

10131. A real estate broker within the meaning of this part is a
person who, for a compensation or in expectation of a compensation,
regardless of the form or time of payment, does or negotiates to do
one or more of the following acts for another or others:
(a) Sells or offers to sell, buys or offers to buy, solicits
prospective sellers or puchasers of, solicits or obtains listings of,
or negotiates the purchase, sale or exchange of real property or a
business opportunity.
(b) Leases or rents or offers to lease or rent, or places for
rent, or solicits listings of places for rent, or solicits for
prospective tenants, or negotiates the sale, purchase or exchanges of
leases on real property, or on a business opportunity, or collects
rents from real property, or improvements thereon, or from business
opportunities.

(c) Assists or offers to assist in filing an application for the
purchase or lease of, or in locating or entering upon, lands owned by
the state or federal government.
(d) Solicits borrowers or lenders for or negotiates loans or
collects payments or performs services for borrowers or lenders or
note owners in connection with loans secured directly or collaterally
by liens on real property or on a business opportunity.
(e) Sells or offers to sell, buys or offers to buy, or exchanges
or offers to exchange a real property sales contract, or a promissory
note secured directly or collaterally by a lien on real property or
on a business opportunity, and performs services for the holders
thereof.

Dramacydle

Sorry, I'm not a property manager in title, but my attorney said I would have to retain him for services as the tenants had been primarily been dealing with my mother and I after my father passed. My primarily role was to communicate with them as there was a language barrier between the tenant and my mother. Thanks for the suggestions. I have called the State and Local BAR offices and they were not very helpful. They mentioned I should try to negotiate with the attorney's office and if we cannot come to a compromise, take action against them in small claims court or through arbitration. Is the billing considered accurate if the attorney did not perform services with his due diligence? Did he not have an obligation to ensure that I either did or did not have a case when proceeding with the UD?

justalayman

Is the billing considered accurate if the attorney did not perform services with his due diligence? Did he not have an obligation to ensure that I either did or did not have a case when proceeding with the UD?
without reading your contract, it is impossible to determine what the lawyer has right to charge. It does appear there was an error on their part that did result in fees that would not have been incurred had the error not been made. I would think the charges beyond what it took to determine the worthiness of the case would be considered not justified. As such, I would think you would be able to recover the fees via a court action, if needed.

I am presuming the billing is accurate. They didn't attempt to charge you for time not actually spent on the case, did they? You are not arguing the billing is not accurate but that the charges beyond the investigatory stage of the case are not justified as they would not have been incurred had the lawyer not made the error they did.

Dramacydle

without reading your contract, it is impossible to determine what the lawyer has right to charge. It does appear there was an error on their part that did result in fees that would not have been incurred had the error not been made. I would think the charges beyond what it took to determine the worthiness of the case would be considered not justified. As such, I would think you would be able to recover the fees via a court action, if needed.

I am presuming the billing is accurate. They didn't attempt to charge you for time not actually spent on the case, did they? You are not arguing the billing is not accurate but that the charges beyond the investigatory stage of the case are not justified as they would not have been incurred had the lawyer not made the error they did.
No, they did not attempt to charge me for time not spent on the case and you are correct, I am only seeking a refund for charges beyond the investigatory stage of the case. According to the fee schedule, I believe those are preparation of jury instruction and court fees. The day we went to court, my attorney just told us to go home and said they would follow up with us afterward, which never happened. Here is a copy of my contract, which doesn't include limitations in liability:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwY73ptLbqusQXVpZkxyV296YXM

Since the head partner at the firm has been extremely difficult to get to respond to any messages, do you have any recommendations on next steps?

W

Willlyjo

Oh, come on, Willly. You could not have even tried to locate this information on your own, as a simple google is all that is necessary (if you don't know anything about real estate and must resort to googling for this information in the first place).

Check out California's Business and Professions Code, Sections 10130-10149.
Between you and Sandyclaus, I don't know who is more ignorant, so I'll just say you both are equally ignorant here! For instance, a broker in reference to the Sections you cite, is someone who acts on behalf of another. There are many owners of property who DO NOT employ brokers to lease or rent their properties! I know of several who, as owners, rent and/or lease properties. You need to read your cited sections again and perhaps then, you can understand them in view of what I said! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Between you and Sandyclaus, I don't know who is more ignorant, so I'll just say you both are equally ignorant here! For instance, a broker in reference to the Sections you cite, is someone who acts on behalf of another. There are many owners of property who DO NOT employ brokers to lease or rent their properties! I know of several who, as owners, rent and/or lease properties. You need to read your cited sections again and perhaps then, you can understand them in view of what I said! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
The direction that this went was based on the OP stating that he was a property manager on behalf of another party. Now you're just being obtuse. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Silverplum

Between you and Sandyclaus, I don't know who is more ignorant, so I'll just say you both are equally ignorant here!
You can attempt to say whatever you want, but everyone already knows the proven truth: you're a troll and know nothing of the law.

:rolleyes:

W

Willlyjo

Just goes to show (and prove) just how fast and loose you are with your responses, Willy. This one was so easy, you didn't even BOTHER to try looking it up before you spoke out of school.
Read 10131! An owner of property can manage his own property without need of a real estate license, period! If he employes a broker, then the broker must have such license! Your response is based on gross misinterpretation (as is Quincy's). Better understand what you are talking about before making yourself look stupid by attacking my post.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Read 10131! An owner of property can manage his own property without need of a real estate license, period! If he employes a broker, then the broker must have such license! Your response is based on gross misinterpretation (as is Quincy's). Better understand what you are talking about before making yourself look stupid by attacking my post.
The posts were made based on the content of THIS thread dufus.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">