• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insect Fighting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightling

Hi! I live in Florida, and I was wondering what the legal implications of making ants fight each other on a massive level would be? I mean like 2,500-12,000 ants fighting at the same time. Is it legal?

I apologize if I'm in the wrong section.

Just Blue

Hi! I live in Florida, and I was wondering what the legal implications of making ants fight each other on a massive level would be? I mean like 2,500-12,000 ants fighting at the same time. Is it legal?

It okay. The section you want to be in is Mental Health. Good luck to you and the ants.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, I don't know of any insect cruelty laws. Doesn't mean there aren't any.

If you are thinking of doing this for financial gain - placing bets on the ant colonies and how they fare in battle, then yes, there are laws regulating that.

However, it is unclear how any laws related to this subject would fall under "legal ethics" or "lawyer malpractice".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you telling me that there are actually people who would watch ants fighting? That you're assuming would pay to watch ants fighting?

Either "see Blue's answer" or "I weep for humanity". Depending on whether you are right or wrong about that.

Nightling

Are you telling me that there are actually people who would watch ants fighting? That you're assuming would pay to watch ants fighting?

Either "see Blue's answer" or "I weep for humanity". Depending on whether you are right or wrong about that.
No. I plan on using pheromones to have over 12,000 ants fighting with RC helicopters capturing the battle as I have armies of ants march upon the kingdoms of their enemies. All this in my backyard.

FlyingRon

I just nuke my dang ants with the fire ant bait. They go crazy swarming over it and carrying it back into their nest for certain death.

quincy

No. I plan on using pheromones to have over 12,000 ants fighting with RC helicopters capturing the battle as I have armies of ants march upon the kingdoms of their enemies. All this in my backyard.
By fighting your ants, you would technically be violating the Florida Cruelty to Animals statute, Title XLVI Crimes, Chapter 828. Florida uses the word "animal" to include every living dumb creature. Other states define animal in a similar way.

Here is a link to Florida's Animal Cruelty law: https://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/cruelty/fl_cruel.htm

Although I did not see any ants on the endangered or threatened species list, if you were to use an endangered or threatened insect for your bug battles, you would also be violating federal law.

Insect fighting (with betting) is a relatively big sport in some Asian countries. Apparently some young kids in the US (mostly boys) find enjoyment out of seeing bugs fight each other. I think most grow out of this (generally when they discover girls).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wouldn't the ants be blown away in the (relatively) gale-forced winds from the rotor blades?

RRevak

I'd like to put out a formal petition to add several locusts to your endeavor to act as battle aids. You know, like the elephants in 300. I'm thinking 2 or 3 per side sounds reasonable.

I wonder how long it would take to ready a locust.....

quincy

You know what this forum needs more of (other than more posters who can recognize that a question about "the legal implications of making ants fight each other on a massive level" has nothing to do with legal ethics or lawyer malpractice)?

It would be nice if this forum had more posters with questions like "I have 12,000 ants and would like to know the laws on starting an insect farm to produce food for the hungry of the world?"

So I am going to make my post about that. :)

Nightling, if you have plans to kill a massive amount of ants anyway and, on the off-chance you will consider putting your ant population to a better use than to create a YouTube bug battle or whatever, you could actually do something with ants that might make a difference in the world. Following is a link to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, with information and guides on insect farming.

http://www.fao.org/forestry/edibleinsects/84624/en/

Proserpina

I'll call my right-hand man Andrew Zimmern.

;)

(And oddly enough people still seem to be shocked that I love his show ... why the shock? I have no idea :D )

quincy

I'll call my right-hand man Andrew Zimmern.

;)

(And oddly enough people still seem to be shocked that I love his show ... why the shock? I have no idea :D )
Andrew Zimmern's shows can be both interesting and stomach-turning at the same time. :)

I have eaten some odd things on my travels and I found it easier not to know in advance what had been prepared. Thinking too much about the food and where it came from can be a big mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">